"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Neither keep long where I'm at either. I've tried various cupboards, the cellar..... the best place I've found for onions is to set them on the fridge. Potatos I still keep under the sink because they do as well there as anywhere else, nothing wet or damp goes there anyway, but I never buy one get one free anymore. I can easily go through 5 lbs in 1-1/2 weeks by myself, any longer or any more potatos and I'm pushing it.

pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I can only keep potatoes and onions for a month or less irrespective of where I keep them. Don't have cellars (unless you are rich) in houses here.

Suzi, I make potato and leek soup (made with cream) and freeze it all the time. Keeps for months and months! My mum used to make huge batches of duchess potatoes and freeze them with no problems. Shepard's pies and cottage pies keep fine too.

I also freeze shredded cheese successfully and don't even think twice about whipped cream. I mean icecream is freezer based and that's cream/milk/eggs.

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:13 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
G'Day Bilby!

I think I will at least try it, 1 batch each of mashed 'taters and soup will not break me if I have to toss it. The soup will get mostly eaten before freezing anyway!

Oh yeah, I watched Finding Nemo with the kids yesterday, now the 4 yo thinks he needs to go to Sydney! DH would go too, he wants to see the Great Barrier Reef.... he loves keeping fish, I think thats why he won't eat them. As they say in the movie, "Fish are our friends, Not food!"
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Suzi, there are three things from your post I have never done -
1. Been to Sydney
2. Gone to the Great Barrier Reef
3. Seen all of Finding Nemo

Think #3 might be achievable! LOL

When I make potato and leek soup, I start it in the morning, get to have a small "trial" bowl for a late lunch, adjust the seasoning and then get seconds, then leave it to cool and what do you know? By the time it is cool enough to package up, it's just about early dinner time, so I get to have more! I lose half a batch before it's within cooee of the fridge! By the time I've put some more aside for my mum so that she doesn't have to cook a meal or two, I have a couple of lunches left!! So I really truly know what you mean!!

Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote