"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Freezing mashed potatoes

I use milk, mayo, sour cream in my mashed potatoes. Can I freeze them? I know frozen dairy doesn't work so well. Potatoes were on sale last week so I have 2 big bags and I want to use them up.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I use milk, mayo, sour cream in my mashed potatoes. Can I freeze them? I know frozen dairy doesn't work so well. Potatoes were on sale last week so I have 2 big bags and I want to use them up.
They should be fine. Frozen dairy by itself doesn't work, but the mixture should be fine; food companies put mashed potatoes in frozen dinners all the time. A little googling turned up these tips: Use a plastic container, not a zip-lock bag; reheat in the oven or on top of a double boiler, to evaporate any excess liquid; add a beaten egg to help the mixture hold together. HTH.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You should also be able to keep the raw potatoes for a long time. Put them in a cool dark place and they should last for months. They kept in root cellars through the winter for our ancesters.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have horrid luck keeping potatoes fresh. I can't get them to keep for a month, let alone more than that. I throw away more onions and potatoes in my house. I never had that kind of problem living in California. I can't figure it out and need to because I'm tired of throwing out so much food.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I was just going to say that too! I have them in my bottom cupboard... but it's next to the fridge now that I think of it, maybe it's too warm there?

So you think then if I made cream of potato soup it would freeze alright too?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Potatoes and onions can be kept a long time if stored in ideal conditions. Both need to be in cool, dark places with some air movement. Bins in the cellar are good or larger amounts. A kitchen cabinet away from the stove and fridge will do for smaller amounts. They do not belong in the refrigerator. They should not be stored together.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I have horrid luck keeping potatoes fresh. I can't get them to keep for a month, let alone more than that. I throw away more onions and potatoes in my house. I never had that kind of problem living in California. I can't figure it out and need to because I'm tired of throwing out so much food.
A lot of food spoilage comes from dampness; not sure where you are in NC, but in southeastern VA, the climate is quite humid, so veggies like onions and potatoes that are not refrigerated can go bad faster. I keep mine in baskets where they get lots of air circulation, which helps keep them fresh. CA's climate is much drier, so foods last longer there. HTH.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I was just going to say that too! I have them in my bottom cupboard... but it's next to the fridge now that I think of it, maybe it's too warm there?

So you think then if I made cream of potato soup it would freeze alright too?
Potato soup freezes quite well. I have done that before.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I am in a humid climate too. Neither potatoes nor onions will keep long, more than a week or two, even in cool, dark places.

As to freezing, I've tried that. The potatoes turned mealy. The taste was fine. The texture wasn't. The commercially sold brands are fine. I don't know why this problem exists.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I grow my own onions & potatoes. We store onions in a mesh bag that is usually kept hung up in the garage. Potatoes are stored in a paper sack and again left in the garage.

In a good year, they are still good through the winter and into early spring.

Tags
None