Freezing mashed potatoes...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Dawglover and Mad cook. I do mine the same way too, add milk, pepper and butter but I would leave out the salt seasoning if you are going to freeze batches ( you can add that later when you go to use them them) They are pretty well behaved have found and you shouldn't have a problem. One last tip, don't make them too 'wet' though with the milk/butter. They freeze better when 'firmer'.

Thank you all so much for your tips and suggestions. :flowers: Aunt Bea, I'll check out your link when I get home this afternoon - heading out the door for the day now. :)

It has been my experience that the more fat the mashed potatoes have in them the better they freeze. Try using one of those make a head mashed potato casseroles as a guide. I also make and freeze twice baked potatoes with no problems.

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I was going to suggest those make ahead potatoes also AB. I do them every year at the holidays but never use any milk at all. I also bet they would freeze well.

Thank you all so much for your replies. :)

Kay...that's what I was thinking, that the milk would end up being funky and create a very watery thaw for just plain mashed taters as a side.

If you don't over-do it the milk doesn't make the mash watery (I use full fat not skimmed or semi-skimmed. And don't over do the mashing. if you use the electric mixer and let it go too far it will be like wall-paper paste!

I found that out the hard way many years ago! :LOL: For many years now I've been steaming potatoes rather than boiling them, they don't absorb as much water. A potato masher and if needed, a very quick mix with the hand mixer works well.

I thawed a bag of the frozen mashed potatoes and had them for breakfast this morning. :yum:They were perfect, just needed a tiny bit more milk. I think the yukons were so fresh when I mashed them, they didn't need much milk. Not sure if I'd get that lucky with potatoes that have been hanging around the grocery store. :)

For drinking, I drink 2%, but for mashed I agree that full fat is best. I get a pint for them so there isn't a bunch of leftover milk.

Thanks again, all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that out the hard way many years ago! :LOL: For many years now I've been steaming potatoes rather than boiling them, they don't absorb as much water. A potato masher and if needed, a very quick mix with the hand mixer works well.

I thawed a bag of the frozen mashed potatoes and had them for breakfast this morning. :yum:They were perfect, just needed a tiny bit more milk. I think the yukons were so fresh when I mashed them, they didn't need much milk. Not sure if I'd get that lucky with potatoes that have been hanging around the grocery store. :)

For drinking, I drink 2%, but for mashed I agree that full fat is best. I get a pint for them so there isn't a bunch of leftover milk.

Thanks again, all. :)

There's just nothing better than when an original poster (OP) brings a thread to a conclusion. Because of you, we've all learned something.

Thanks Cheryl!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's just nothing better than when an original poster (OP) brings a thread to a conclusion. Because of you, we've all learned something.

Thanks Cheryl!

So true Kay. Most threads just peter out because everything that could be said has been. Then a new member signs in and finds it and starts it all up again. Some OP will post a Thank You for all the information and try to bring it to an end. But there is always that one person who has more to say and won't let it go.

Andy's post for "A tough piece of meat" is a perfect example.

Last edited:
If you don't over-do it the milk doesn't make the mash watery (I use full fat not skimmed or semi-skimmed. And don't over do the mashing. if you use the electric mixer and let it go too far it will be like wall-paper paste!

To sum up, making mashed potatoes ahead of time to be frozen, then re-heated...you blend them thicker than if you were making them fresh for your guests in the next half hour, use full fat milk or sour cream only.

If I'm wrong...someone bail me out. Freezing mashed potatoes for ahead of time.

Last edited:
To sum up, making mashed potatoes ahead of time to be frozen, then re-heated...you blend them thicker than if you were making them fresh for your guests in the next half hour, use full fat milk or sour cream only.

Nope that is how I would do it. My first husband told me once to use a little of the potato water to mash them if I was just going to freeze them. I never tried it though. I thought the water would create ice crystals. :angel:

Nope sorry...If you read post #14 carefully, she added only butter, salt and pepper. No milk at all.
Post #26 will tell what she did after defrosting them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom