"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Master Chef

Freezing mashed potatoes...?

My little local produce stand had freshly dug Yukon golds last weekend, and I bought more than I should have. I was wondering if anyone here has ever made a batch of mashed potatoes and frozen them successfully. I know they have tubs of frozen mashed potatoes in the stores, but I've never bought any so can't say if there is any change in taste or texture from fresh. I know fresh is always better, but I hate to see any of these go to waste.

I was thinking of cooking what I have left, mashing them, and using my FoodSaver to bag and freeze them. I guess my question is, should I make them as normal with milk and butter and freeze? Or should I just mash them and freeze, then add the milk and butter after I take them out and they have thawed? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have a cool dry place to store them, they will last a long time. Most root vegetables can be stored. Back in colonial/early American times, you had a root cellar for storing root vegetables over the winter. These root veggies fed the family all winter.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

The next time you are at the grocery store, take a look at the list of ingredients in the mashed potatoes. Let that be your guide.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thanks for responding, Andy. I live in the desert so there is no cool and dry place to store them. During the late fall and winter I keep potatoes, garlic, and onions in a basket in the garage, but that's not an option now as temps are up to 107-110.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thanks for responding, Andy. I live in the desert so there is no cool and dry place to store them. During the late fall and winter I keep potatoes, garlic, and onions in a basket in the garage, but that's not an option now as temps are up to 107-110.
Good grief! Sounds like your produce needs their own A/C.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The next time you are at the grocery store, take a look at the list of ingredients in the mashed potatoes. Let that be your guide.
Hi Addie. Like I mentioned, I know there are tubs of frozen potatoes in the stores. I imagine they are loaded with salt and other preservatives, without even looking at the ingredients. Just curious if anyone else has ever tried this at home.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

I should add, I did a search online, but I trust you guys more.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've frozen Thanksgiving leftovers which included mashed potatoes, and they were just fine. They were a layer in the usual TG casserole, and had been made with butter and milk. I'd give it a shot!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
My little local produce stand had freshly dug Yukon golds last weekend, and I bought more than I should have. I was wondering if anyone here has ever made a batch of mashed potatoes and frozen them successfully. I know they have tubs of frozen mashed potatoes in the stores, but I've never bought any so can't say if there is any change in taste or texture from fresh. I know fresh is always better, but I hate to see any of these go to waste.

I was thinking of cooking what I have left, mashing them, and using my FoodSaver to bag and freeze them. I guess my question is, should I make them as normal with milk and butter and freeze? Or should I just mash them and freeze, then add the milk and butter after I take them out and they have thawed? Thanks for any suggestions.
Yes, I often freeze mashed potatoes. Not sure if it matters to the freezing results but I mash mine with butter and a little milk (or cream if I have any) because I like them that way.

They are very successful. I usually freeze them in single portions because that's convenient for me but I have frozen a large container full for, say, Christmas Dinner. I reheat in the m/wave as they don't get a "crust" on them as they would in the oven.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

I have successfully frozen mashed potatoes. I also used to blanch and freeze cubed potatoes (three minutes boiling, three minutes ice water, drain on paper towels and put on trays to freeze for an hour then into bags) for "stew packs" we made up for our homeless ministry. We did all veggies like this and they were like fresh when we poured them frozen into the stock for the stew.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
potato, potatoes