Freezing Onions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have more onions than I can reasonably use before they start to spoil Can I chop/slice them and then freeze them? I think so, but wonder if any of you have done this before.

Lyndalou

I do it all the time, especially in the colder months when one of our markets has them on super sale. Can't afford to pass them up.

What I usually do is chop them coarsely, spread them out on a waxed paper-lined tray or cookie sheet and freeze until firm, then scoop them into heavy plastic freezer zipper bags. They may give off some "aroma" as they freeze but that usually disappears very quickly. That's never been a problem with my freezing technique.

I guess you could slice them and freeze in the same manner.

Yip :) I freeze sliced onions when I buy a 10kg bag at the market, use half the bag and freeze the rest in ziplock bags. You can freeze grated cheddar and gouda and sliced ham for sandwiches, lasagna, grilled cheese etc. Just thaw over night in fridge if making sandwiches so they don't go soggy :)

I freeze onions, celery and green pepper. I freeze some as a mix to toss into soups, omelets, stir fries, etc. and the rest separated.

I freeze loads of stuff too, makes life so much easier doesn't it? And a good way to store excess when things go on sale!
I cooked large quantities of dried beans and freeze them in portions, freeze bread like rolls and ciabatta and reheat in the oven, chopped fresh herbs mixed with a bit of water in ice trays to pop into soup and stews and you can even freeze leftover rice and reheat in a colander over a pot of boiling water.

I freeze loads of stuff too, makes life so much easier doesn't it? And a good way to store excess when things go on sale!
I cooked large quantities of dried beans and freeze them in portions, freeze bread like rolls and ciabatta and reheat in the oven, chopped fresh herbs mixed with a bit of water in ice trays to pop into soup and stews and you can even freeze leftover rice and reheat in a colander over a pot of boiling water.

Oh, I like the herbs in ice cubes idea. I'm going to have to try that one.

Oh, I like the herbs in ice cubes idea. I'm going to have to try that one.

Pop the cubes into ziplock bags when frozen and label the bags. Then you can use the trays again :) The added water (just enough to moisten) stops the herbs from getting freezer burn.
Nice to know I could teach someone with so much more cooking knowledge something :)

I don't know that I have more cooking knowledge, just different cooking knowledge. I'm definitely not an expert. There is a lot of stuff that I don't know and I frequently find myself looking up things. There is always more to learn. :)

I don't know that I have more cooking knowledge, just different cooking knowledge. I'm definitely not an expert. There is a lot of stuff that I don't know and I frequently find myself looking up things. There is always more to learn. :)

Pretty sure you know more but thank you :) Guess I am only a few years your junior, just a bit wet behind the ears still..lol! There is always more to learn.

I have a dehydrator, and have had great luck drying onions, celery leaves (my fave) and herbs. I freeze quite a bit also......

I have a dehydrator, and have had great luck drying onions, celery leaves (my fave) and herbs. I freeze quite a bit also......

I would love to buy a dehydrator, I've always wanted one. Know any good affordable brands?
P.S I'm also a celery leaf fan, ever try making celery leaf tea with lemon? It's really good and good for you :)

I wouldn't buy fresh herbs for a long time, because it was hard for two people to use them up. This idea lets me buy what I need and freeze the rest!

Two people? Try buying herbs for one! :LOL: I have a hard time using up those little plastic single serving containers even.

Love this idea. I'll be trying it out next time I buy fresh herbs for something.

I wonder if the best way to have fresh herbs for a family of one or two is to buy a few small potted plants. SO and I were at TJ's this morning and saw a whole rack of 4" pots with various herbs - thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon, mint, and one or two more I can't remember.

Two people? Try buying herbs for one! :LOL: I have a hard time using up those little plastic single serving containers even.

Love this idea. I'll be trying it out next time I buy fresh herbs for something.

Soon all of DC will have herb ice cubes in their freezers..lol!
Store bought herbs don't last me long, that's why I plant my own. My herb garden is as much a pharmacy as it is a garden :) Love herbs!
Talking about which, I'm going to go make some fresh peppermint tea! I ate too much :(

I wonder if the best way to have fresh herbs for a family of one or two is to buy a few small potted plants. SO and I were at TJ's this morning and saw a whole rack of 4" pots with various herbs - thyme, rosemary, sage, tarragon, mint, and one or two more I can't remember.

I would invest in one of those little herb garden things if there weren't mixed reviews on them. The name is escaping me right now.

A herb garden is very rewarding, I planted my herbs in large pots until I had a big enough garden and it flourished!
Thyme, basil, mint and parsley are a good start. Really easy to grow.
Do yourself a favour if you decide to give it a go, buy Margeret Roberts's A-Z of herbs. It's a really good book to have and teaches you many ways to use your herbs and all about when and how to plant them :)

I would invest in one of those little herb garden things if there weren't mixed reviews on them. The name is escaping me right now.

I'm just talking about little pots of dirt with small plants in them. Nothing fancy. Small investment.

Back
Top Bottom