Freezing Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Can tomatoes be frozen whole, and used the future for tomato sauce ?

I have an over abundance of tomatoes, and just don't have the time right now to deal with them. I figured I can just toss them in the freezer for now. Then in a few weeks, defrost, boil them down a bit, run them through the food mill and make a puree.

I usually do the above right after picking them ( skipping the freezing whole part), but the next 2 weeks are a bit crazy for me.

Yes, while you are washing them, core them, cut them in halves or leave whole, squeeze out juice/seeds quickly, smash them into a freezer pail, freeze. They'll keep great. It takes less than 20 minutes for a gallon and saves the tomatoes from over ripening and rotting.

Yes, while you are washing them, core them, cut them in halves or leave whole, squeeze out juice/seeds quickly, smash them into a freezer pail, freeze. They'll keep great. It takes less than 20 minutes for a gallon and saves the tomatoes from over ripening and rotting.

Exactly what I wanted to hear !!:clap:

Thanks.

I think I did it in the past , but I just forgot.

Ha ha ha. There was one really really hot summer, too hot for canning, or maybe I just wasn't handling the heat well and I froze at least 14 gallons + of tomatoes. Then when fall and winter came, the house was dry and cold, and canning was much more fun, and warm and humidifying.

Apparently you can freeze tomatoes and grate over your dinner to make a taste texture contrast.

Back
Top Bottom