Freezing whole tomatoes for later use??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im leaving on vacation tomorrow ( for about 2 weeks). Ill probably pick about 2 or 3 dozen tomatoes tomorrow night when i get home from work, and wont have the time to peel, cook , process... as i usually do. So i need a very quick and easy way to store the tomatoes, so i can use them when i get back. I was hoping just tossing them in the freezer would allow me to use them later on for soups, stews, sauces ...?

Is this ok ? or is there something else i can do which requires little time and effort?

larry

They will be mushy and have less flavor if you freeze them raw. They'll only be good for sauces and soups etc.

Cook them on stove top until skins just start to separate, then freeze.
Do not add any thing to them , there will be a lot of natural water in them that will protect there natural flavor

When you thaw them just pour off all that water and you will have your
tomato's back for sauces.

Larry, I've heard if you core them and freeze them, when you thaw them the peels come right off. That would be the fastest way to deal with them.

Just don't forget that a particular flavor compound is destroyed once the tomato gets below 50 degrees F. I supposed it is better to freeze then and love some of the flavor then let them rot and lose them altogether. Personally, I would dry them in the oven or dehydrator if you have one.

It seems to me that the very reason for canning tomatoes in the first place is because of the problems associated with freezing them. You might consider passing them on to a neighbor or co-worker rather than let them spoil, even in the freezer.

Dang, guys!! I have been freezing whole tomatoes for years--they are great. NOT good for salads, of course, but great in soups and stews and sauces.

I don't core them, just toss them into ziplocks and freeze. When you get ready to use them, thaw them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes, and the skins will slip right off. Chop them up while still a little frozen and use them.

Don't knock it til ya try it!!

Last edited:
Dang, guys!! I have been freezing whole tomatoes for years--they are great. NOT good for salads, of course, but great in soups and stews and sauces.

I don't core them, just toss them into ziplocks and freeze. When you get ready to use them, thaw them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes, and the skins will slip right off. Chop them up while still a little frozen and use them.

Thanks sparrowgrass...glad to hear this. For the first time, I've had an abundant crop of tomatoes, and there's no way I'll be canning them with all the horrors I've read here on canning. If I ever had any notion of giving canning a try, it's long gone. :ermm:

Amen, sparrowgrass! I've been doing the same thing and have never had any flavor problems. I love using them in soups and especially chili.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen frozen whole tomatoes in the frozen vegetable case in any supermarket. There must be a reason for that - flavor or texture. If someone's not already making a buck doing it commercially, then.... well, let's just say I'm skeptical about any success of someone just throwing them into a freezer.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen frozen whole tomatoes in the frozen vegetable case in any supermarket. There must be a reason for that - flavor or texture. If someone's not already making a buck doing it commercially, then.... well, let's just say I'm skeptical about any success of someone just throwing them into a freezer.

On the other hand Selkie, unlike improperly home canned tomatoes, they can do no harm. I'm just not willing to take up the responsibilty canning anything after being here.:shock:

Kayelle said:
there's no way I'll be canning them with all the horrors I've read here on canning. If I ever had any notion of giving canning a try, it's long gone.

That's a very sad commentary ~~ Makes me wonder where was I when all of these "horror stores" we being told ~~ Nothing could be easier or simpler than canning tomatoes...
:ermm:

In your case, freezing them sure beats wasting them. Yes, when you take them out the skin peels off as easily as if you used the traditional method. They are NOT salad or sandwich tomatoes. If you have a food mill, China cap, or fine sieve, when you go to use them press them through to remove seeds, then reduce them in a pot and you will have a great base for a soup or sauce. Reducing will give you a nice, rich tomato flavor. Add some cream for a great soup or pasta sauce. Alternately, take the entire tomatoes, thaw, chop, and throw into a pot of stock. Strain when cooked a little, then add your favorite soup ingredients.

I do not ascribe to the panic mode of home canning ... I have many friends who home can and I am always thrilled to get a jar! For me it isn't fear of canning, just the heat (I sweat like a stuck pig and my kitchen has no air conditioning) and the work involved. So I freeze. I usually don't freeze them whole, but I have, and some of my friends do when at wit's end at the end of the season. They are delicious, but watery, so you do need to reduce them.

Last edited:
I first tried the whole tomato freezing thing years ago--I had 2 toddlers, a giant garden, and then, in July, I got a full-time job with a 2 hour commute. NO time to can, so I just put the tomatoes into bread bags and put them in the freezer. They were great, and I have done it ever since.

I also can tomato sauce and salsa, so I do have a comparison.

That's a very sad commentary ~~ Makes me wonder where was I when all of these "horror stores" we being told ~~ Nothing could be easier or simpler than canning tomatoes...
:ermm:

I agree, and, a person can be taught skills to do this if they are willing.
It's easy.
A person, who is unwilling, cannot be taught to think or overcome fear in some cases.

Tomatoes can be safely water bath canned with an approved university extension recipe and the willingness to learn.

Back
Top Bottom