French Fries I gotta ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Common knowledge states that perfect French Fries are made by twice frying russet potato so that have been pre-soaked for some period of time, which seems to depend on who's giving instructions, anywhere from 2 hours to overnight.

Every reci I see on the internet gives this same recipe, and technique. But I have found that Yukon Gold, or yellow potatoes give you a better inner texture, with a crispy outside. And I don't double fry the. Rather, I cut steak fries, parboil them until they are almost cooked through, drain, dry, an fry until golden. The parboiling removes much of the starch from the outside of the potato, which allows them to crisp nicely, while escaping steam keeps the oil absorption very light, giving you a creamy, fluffy, full potato flavor inside, with a crispy outer layer.

How do you make your perfect stak.French Fries?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chief! Your parboiling replaces the initial fry in the popular recipe. Plus you get the effect of the pre-soak built in.

I've seen several sources recommending Yukon Golds for fries. I don't make them often but I'll give them a try.

Dx uses Yukon gold for almost all potato dishes she makes, mashed, scalloped, potato salads etc. I still prefer russet potatoes baked, but at her house I am happy, that's spelled with a smile on my face, eating baked yukons.

We don't usually make French fries at home but I believe you when you say these are good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom