"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 AM   #21
Master Chef

I just saw at the store yesterday that the price has finally came down. Its $1.99 a bundle now vs. the $5.99 at Valentines Day.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I just saw at the store yesterday that the price has finally came down. Its $1.99 a bundle now vs. the $5.99 at Valentines Day.
We were just hoping for something like that here, too, and now we got hit by triple cold fronts this week and the weather took a nasty turn right back to winter. I hope and pray the spring crop didn't suffer too much for it!!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
I can`t wait for 2 year time when I can start picking my own asparagus, I started them off from seed nearly 3 years ago, even when you plant the crowns you have to wait 3 years before you pick them, from seed you can another 2 years to that!

I`m growing Martha Washington asaparagus, I hope it`s worth the wait! :)
I am part way through replanting my asparagus bed. I am replanting it 1/3 at a time, so as not to be without asparagus for too long. this year we will be eating on the last 1/3 of the old bed. Last year I planted Jersey King, this years 25 crowns are Purple Passion. Have not seen the first tip this year, too early for these parts.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`ve got nothing showing here either just yet, but by May they should all be out tempting me :)

BTW, if ever you get chance to go to the beach in the summer, grab as much seaweed as you can and dry it in the sun and bring it home with you, leave it hanging up in the fresh air.
when bone dry put some gloves on and crush it up (there will be sharp bits), and put a sprinkle of that on your asparagus beds.
you don`t have to wash the salt off either, asparagus does care :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Head Chef

Another "grilled" fan here.
It's also great stir fried
I've never planted asparagus before YT, I had no idea it took so long to produce! I guess that kinda justifies the high cost.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
I`ve got nothing showing here either just yet, but by May they should all be out tempting me :)

BTW, if ever you get chance to go to the beach in the summer, grab as much seaweed as you can and dry it in the sun and bring it home with you, leave it hanging up in the fresh air.
when bone dry put some gloves on and crush it up (there will be sharp bits), and put a sprinkle of that on your asparagus beds.
you don`t have to wash the salt off either, asparagus does care :)
This is interesting. We were worried about, and could find no information, planting a new bed right where your old bed was. It seems after 22 years, the soil might be depleted a bit. We do heavily mulch it with bedding from the barn each fall.

Yes, John, it takes many years to get a crop when planted from seed. But once you get the plants up and producing, they will produce for many years. Our old bed gave great results for about 20 years before the harvest started to diminish.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring
This is interesting. We were worried about, and could find no information, planting a new bed right where your old bed was. It seems after 22 years, the soil might be depleted a bit. We do heavily mulch it with bedding from the barn each fall.

Yes, John, it takes many years to get a crop when planted from seed. But once you get the plants up and producing, they will produce for many years. Our old bed gave great results for about 20 years before the harvest started to diminish.
Thats amazing Beth,
Do you have to cover the bed at the end of the growing season to protect the plant roots from winter freeze?
Old 03-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
yeah, they love seaweed, but if you don`t have any, you can buy Liquid seaweed (it`s like an extract) it`s the Iodine they like and a little salt won`t hurt them in anyway at all, I pref the seaweed though as that breaks down slowly and gives a slow but consistant feed.

John, we don`t cover ours at all, but it is grown in a raised bed.
the only thing we do if cut off the Fern like growth ONLY when it`s well and truly dead, before that and you lose nutrients being fed back into the roots.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #29
Executive Chef

No, the mulch is not to protect the crowns/roots. It is for the nutrient issue. The crowns do not need protection for the winter. But they do need fertilizer and this is the best way we have to fertilize. And it is not a coincindence that the barn is situated right next to the fenced garden.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #30
Head Chef

Thanks for the info,
Gee, now it looks like I'm in for a 5 year project

Tags
None