Fresh Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fried asparagus tips

Last night when DH was frying up some morels (a gift from a VERY good friend), he also fried up some fresh asparagus tips, since we have a refrigerator full of it. They were wonderful!

Dip in beaten egg, then seasoned flour, and fry in about half an inch of canola oil. Sprinkle with a little salt as soon as they come out of the skillet.

If you're ever in need of a good colon cleansing, try eating morels and fresh asparagus the same night. :LOL:

:rolleyes:Well today here in Michigan I picked my first batch of asparagus fresh from the field. It looks incredible. So I thought how to cook it. So I got one of my big cast iron skillets out added some fresh butter my wife makes and garlic crushed and melted butter and added garlic let it cook for a minute and put the asparagus in and continued to fry for about 5 minutes. WOW:LOL: was it GREAT! Just one of the early spring things I love:-p Thought you folks would enjoy this. Michigan Asparagus is one of the best things up here to eat full of flavor. Thanks Digger

Hi Digger,
Asparagus is my favourite vegetable. Here are a few ideas for you to try:
* Asparagus soup;
* Asparagus quiche
* Asparagus boiled or griddled with sauce vierge, hollandaise sauce or sauce maltaise (ornage flavoured hollandaise);
* Asparagus boiled/steamed and drained on a cloth, serve on toast, top with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce;
* Asparagus risotto with dots of saffron or mint butter and shavings of parmesan;
* Asparagus soufle;
* Linguine with prawns and asparagus;
* Asparagus with raspberry vinaigrette.

Hope these ideas help,
Archiduc

OK, Digger, after you've got your asparagus cooked in butter and garlic, lay two poached or fried eggs on top and then sprinkle with freshly shaved parmesan cheese. Oh, it's so good!!

:) Toss asparagus in olive oil salt and pepper roast in oven at 400 to 425 degrees about 15 -20 minutes when done sprinkle a bit of balsamic vinegar or some lemon and butter. Anyone get wild asparagus? We have it out here but I don't know where to find it.

OK, Digger, after you've got your asparagus cooked in butter and garlic, lay two poached or fried eggs on top and then sprinkle with freshly shaved parmesan cheese. Oh, it's so good!!

Hi MexicoKaren,
Steamed asparagus plus poached eggs, not fried and topped with melted butter or Hollandaise sauce. No parmesan is required!

All the best,
Archiduc

Oh, I'm sure you are right - mmmmm. Hollandaise sauce is good on anything - well, maybe not ice cream.

Hi MexicoKaren,

"Hollandaise sauce is good on anything - well, maybe not ice cream."

Well, IMHO, it could be - when served with the right base. How about really ripe tomatoes, grown locally, peeled, deseeded and chopped, cooked, reduced. Cool and serve as a rich red base with basil ice cream. Top/sprinkle with torn basil leaves and decorated "on the pass" and at the last moment topped with Hollandaise.

So yes, Hollandaise sauce may/can be served in this way and with lots of other vegetable based ices.

All the best,
Archiduc

Well.......maybe. I have just been reading Mark Bittman's "minimalist" blog from the NYT while I was eating a bowl of home-made ice cream that I made from cream, milk, sugar and good Mexican vanilla. I'm not sure it gets any better than that.

I grill my Asparagus. Cut off bottom inch, then toss in oil, garlic, salt, pepper. Put them on two parallel skewers and place on grill. The skewers allow easy turning. Just grill for a couple minutes. You can stick one with a knife in the thickest part to see if they are tender. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar is a nice finishing touch.

mostly i cook it in the micro. i have a shallow bowl that is just perfect. oval shaped. i do place steam ends out. bout three min. with just a tiny bit of water. yum yum

babe:chef:

On the grill
Brush with olive oil sprinkle with coarse grnd sea salt and sesame seeds..

Oh pop a nice cut of meat, chicken heck.. hotdogs will work!!

Back
Top Bottom