Fried Cabbage TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
If you enjoy cabbage, this will be a welcome side with ribs,sausage or even hot dogs.
Wash,core and coarsely chop 1 med. head of cabbage. Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add cabbage and saute stirring constantly, for about 2 min or til cabbage is tender crisp. Don't let it wilt or cook through. Season with salt and a generous amount of pepper. Stir in 3 tab. of sour cream and serve immediately.
enjoy,
kadesma

"3 tabs of sour cream"? did you mean 3 tqabs or 3 tab. spoons? That much sour cream sounds like something I would like. ;)

"3 tabs of sour cream"? did you mean 3 tqabs or 3 tab. spoons? That much sour cream sounds like something I would like. ;)
Hi Charlie I uae 3 tablespoons of sour cream. I would taste it and add more or less to suit your taste.
kadesma:)

I love fried cabbage, but havn't done it in a long time. The sourcream sounds good kadesma, although I have some Greek Yogurt in the fridge I think I'll use tonite and serve it with our loin lamb chops. Yumm.

I love fried cabbage, but havn't done it in a long time. The sourcream sounds good kadesma, although I have some Greek Yogurt in the fridge I think I'll use tonite and serve it with our loin lamb chops. Yumm.
Let me know how it turns out with the yogurt.It sounds great this way.
kades

I never thought of using sour cream with it...Yum!

To save calories, I braise my cabbage in a little low-fat chicken broth, just as if I were using butter. I don't miss the butter, but if you do, add a little butter-flavored popcorn salt or some of that no-calorie butter-flavored spritz. You'll find it in the dairy case in a yellow pump bottle.

I'll try some of these ideas. I don't make it often, but when I do cook cabbage I use just the water that sticks to the leaves and simmer with only salt and pepper. I only cook it for a short time - it is still green and crisp. Dh really likes it better than I do, but it is good for a change.

I never thought of sour cream either! I know I'll like it because I luuuuv sour cream on cabbage rolls. And I make fried cabbage often, so this will be a nice twist. We use the greek yogurt as a sour cream replacement on all kinds of things. It tastes the same.

I never thought of using sour cream with it...Yum!

To save calories, I braise my cabbage in a little low-fat chicken broth, just as if I were using butter. I don't miss the butter, but if you do, add a little butter-flavored popcorn salt or some of that no-calorie butter-flavored spritz. You'll find it in the dairy case in a yellow pump bottle.
Connie,
I have the spritz and usually pull some out for myself and use the spritz on mine.
I try to be as careful as possible, Sundays I use the real thing :LOL:
kades

Love fried cabbage. I also add a sliced or diced onion and a garlic clove chopped up
butter and lil salt and alot of pepper --- sometimes a pinch of red pepper flakes if i fill like it spicy at

Instead of butter, dice an ounce (or two) of bacon, fry til crisp, and put your cabbage in. I also slice an onion into the mix.
Thanks sparrowgrass, nice idea. I love geeting changes to recipes, makes eating so much better to have a change.
kadesma

Connie,
I have the spritz and usually pull some out for myself and use the spritz on mine.
I try to be as careful as possible, Sundays I use the real thing :LOL:
kades

Yes, but the spritz has chemicals in it (unless you make your own), and the real thing doesn't.... :ermm:

Thanks for the suggestion, kades. Sounds right up our alley.would be great with some pork chops. :) I never seem to have sour cream around the house, but always have creme fraiche. I'll use that.

Yes, but the spritz has chemicals in it (unless you make your own), and the real thing doesn't.... :ermm:

Thanks for the suggestion, kades. Sounds right up our alley.would be great with some pork chops. :) I never seem to have sour cream around the house, but always have creme fraiche. I'll use that.
Yes I know about the chemicals and use the spray now and then. It's not an oft used thing here. Creme Fraiche is always on hand so will try it next time.
kades

sparrowgrass -- thanks for reminding me of that, don't kow why i haven't done that as i love to saute green beans or brussels spouts in bacon fat and even added the some cut up bacon cut up bacon.
now have to buy a cabbage this week as I can almost taste it.

Hi Kades,

Love the sour cream idea, I usually make mine with (as SG said) with diced bacon, onions, diced apples, and apple cider vinegar... Then a pat of butter to round things out... YUM!!! :):):)

Hi Kades,

Love the sour cream idea, I usually make mine with (as SG said) with diced bacon, onions, diced apples, and apple cider vinegar... Then a pat of butter to round things out... YUM!!! :):):)
Glad you like the idea of sour cream. We are having it tonight And I can hardly wit. Thanks for a great recipe idea. Will be trying it soon.
kades:)

Glad you like the idea of sour cream. We are having it tonight And I can hardly wit. Thanks for a great recipe idea. Will be trying it soon.
kades:)

Kades go a little further with that if you like... Heres what iv'e done, the same cabbage recipe, add some white wine, caraway seeds, and applesauce (along with everything else) saute some porkchops and layer between the cabbage mixture... Bake in the oven,,, I use to make this when I was 18 and it was fabulous then (yes check my profile I could buy wine back than :LOL::LOL:) and it is still fabulous... XOXO

Back
Top Bottom