"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Great way to do carrots.

Try this: saute the baby carrots or carrot slices in butter over low to medium heat until they're soft. Add a bit of honey and continue cooking for a minute or two, until the carrots are well glazed with the honey and butter.

Also, try adding a little some ground cumin. Yum!

BTW, this works best in a non-stick skillet.
Yum! Cumin!

We do something similar, but with brown sugar and nutmeg. Your version sounds wonderful!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

I do it the same way as FryBoy does but don't add honey to it. Just butter, add dill weed and a bit of black pepper.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
Executive Chef

If you pull up the foodnetwork from yesterday, Sept 25, and check out Giada's program, she made fried veggies. She used broccoli and cauliflower, but said other veggies work out just as well. She dipped the veggies in beaten egg, then rolled them in parmesan cheese and fried in olive oil. I think I would use canola since I like a neutral tasting oil for frying, but you could use whatever you enjoy using. She used them atop a salad, but they would be delicious as a side dish. She compared it to a Japanese tempura, but with Italian overtone.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlag5k
I was making chicken the other night. I just fried it in a pan with some olive oil, adding slat, pepper, and a slice or two of tomoato per chicken breast. I wanted to experiment a little, so I sliced maybe a dozen or so baby carrots and half and threw them in. They turned out really great, good texture with a wonderful taste.

It's something I'm interested in doing again, perhaps with full sized carrots. Can someone recommend a good technique for doing so? I'd really recommend someone give it a shot if they've never tried it before, as those little morsels were the star of that meal.

Thanks in advance!
Try thinly-sliced carrots in a stir fry with garlic and ginger - add in strips of chicken (beef or pork), broc or snow peas, (and pineapple chunks, if you like), and serve over rice noodles (or noodle of choice). Another idea is shred the carrots and stir fry -- and serve them as you would a noodle.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Head Chef

Fried carrots sound interesting and I must try it one of these days. At the moment I don't have any carrots but the next time I order online for my groceries I will get some along with more fruits and vegetables.

Thank you.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None