"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 09-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
Fried carrots?

I was making chicken the other night. I just fried it in a pan with some olive oil, adding slat, pepper, and a slice or two of tomoato per chicken breast. I wanted to experiment a little, so I sliced maybe a dozen or so baby carrots and half and threw them in. They turned out really great, good texture with a wonderful taste.

It's something I'm interested in doing again, perhaps with full sized carrots. Can someone recommend a good technique for doing so? I'd really recommend someone give it a shot if they've never tried it before, as those little morsels were the star of that meal.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

boy, can I use this recipe - we have way too many bags of baby carrots at the moment.

CyberSlag, did you fry them along with the chicken, or after? Sliced how?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Cook

Heh, feel free. I just sliced them in half long-ways and threw them in maybe half-way through the chicken cooking process (maybe ten minutes), along side the chicken. It really was on a whim, so that's about all I did.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks. So let's go back to your chicken frying method (I still have not perfected this after all these years). How much oil are you using? Do you put a lid on the pan at any point? Were the carrots al dente or softer?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Great way to do carrots.

Try this: saute the baby carrots or carrot slices in butter over low to medium heat until they're soft. Add a bit of honey and continue cooking for a minute or two, until the carrots are well glazed with the honey and butter.

Also, try adding a little some ground cumin. Yum!

BTW, this works best in a non-stick skillet.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Cook

Er.. I'm pretty green in the kitchen, so my "method" is pretty rough. I made 4 breasts in a decent sized pan, medium heat or so. I don't know how much olive oil, "enough" is the figure I had in my head at the time :). If I had to guess, I'd say 3 or 4 tablespoons, maybe? I might also have drizzled some on top of the birds before seasoning, I don't remember. They take about 20 minutes to cook, I salt and pepper each side, added a slice or two of tomato per breast (sometimes I add a layer of bacon (microwaved, first), then the tomato, then a slice of cheese about 30 seconds before I pull the birds out of the pan), and therw in the carrots half way through. I didn't cover the pan (I would have but I don't have anything large enough), and al dente sounds about right on the carrots.

Sorry I don't have many specifics, but I hope this helps and your carrots turn out as good as mine (randomly) did.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Master Chef

So you didn't use a coating on your chicken?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Cook

I guess not? I'm not entirely sure what sort of coating you mean.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

FryBoy, I like your idea. I think marmalady has posted something similar a while back in the form of carrot coins.

CyberSlag, I guess I was thinking kind of along the lines of Connie - that you had some coating or were using chicken with the skin still on that would add to the flavor of the carrots.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlag5k
I was making chicken the other night. I just fried it in a pan with some olive oil, adding slat, pepper, and a slice or two of tomoato per chicken breast. I wanted to experiment a little, so I sliced maybe a dozen or so baby carrots and half and threw them in. They turned out really great, good texture with a wonderful taste.

It's something I'm interested in doing again, perhaps with full sized carrots. Can someone recommend a good technique for doing so? I'd really recommend someone give it a shot if they've never tried it before, as those little morsels were the star of that meal.

Thanks in advance!
My mother used to do this quite often, but it's been years since I had them like this. They taste great, don't they?
I always had grown-up carrots, not babies, and they fry best when cut in 4 (halfed lengthwise and halfed across) flat parts down. I hope you understand what I mean cos I can't explain myself any better than I just did
I can't realy comment on cooking times as my mom, despite her many qualities, doesn't realy believe in "al dente" cooked vegetables. FWIW, she made them alongside pan-fried chicken breast, gently fried in loads of foaming (not browned) butter or margarine.
Hope this was somehow helpful to you.

Tags
None