Fried green tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading all the posts I see that I am nt doing anything different than what has been describe, flour or no flour affects the breading not the taste. And my problem was always the taste. I've tried few different types of tomatoes, and have done it at the different time during growing season, still they are either very tart or even bitter.

They're supposed to be tart, since they're unripe. If they're bitter, they may have been picked too soon.

Reading all the posts I see that I am nt doing anything different than what has been describe, flour or no flour affects the breading not the taste. And my problem was always the taste. I've tried few different types of tomatoes, and have done it at the different time during growing season, still they are either very tart or even bitter.
It occurs to me that you might not have this problem if you use some heritage varieties of tomatoes which are green when ripe.

I actually have tried frying ripe tomatoes with moderate success. And, as GotGarlic says, they are quite moist because of their ripeness but they can be fried if one has the patience. I have tons of patience but I much, much prefer the green variety.

I fry medium size ripe tomatoes for breakfast. I cut the tomato in half, dip the cut side in a little seasoned flour and put it into a cast iron pan with some sizzling bacon grease. I cook it until the top half of the tomato 'sweats' profusely and the cut side is quite dark.

I only fry green tomatoes in the early fall when we are about to get our first real frost and tomato season is ending in my area. I dip thick slices in flour, beaten egg, seasoned bread crumbs and 'fry' them in the oven on a oiled cookie sheet at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, I usually flip them once after about 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I don't use an egg wash, I do it like my mother and grandma did... a light film of mayo and then the flour or bread crumbs. I've even used Ranch Dressing instead of mayo. There are a few recipes that mayo works well in place of eggs.

I don't use an egg wash, I do it like my mother and grandma did... a light film of mayo and then the flour or bread crumbs. I've even used Ranch Dressing instead of mayo. There are a few recipes that mayo works well in place of eggs.

I like that idea!

Back
Top Bottom