"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
Master Chef
I like to well season my coating and egg dip (as in spicy) and then serve with red or green salsa.

I am surprised that any of my tomatoes ever turn red, as I am always raiding the tomato plants to eat the green ones. I had my first on Sunday!

jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
Head Chef
My most favorite way to fry green (pink maters work great too!) is a batter dipped one. Mix AP flour with a bit of salt (I use seasoned salt), sugar, black pepper and some evaporated milk to make a medium thick batter. Dust the tomatoes in seasoned flour and then dip into the batter and then fry in some hot bacon grease!!!!!!!! These are even good cold the next day!!!!!!

Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Being from the south, fried green tomatoes are a favorite for me. I had my first of the season at my MIL's on Sunday. She keeps hers seperate when frying but my Mom kinda stirs hers up and Mom adds a few tomatoes that are turning (slightly ripe). I love them both ways and both coat theirs in flour. I've also had them in a flour/cornmeal mixture and they're good either way. Enjoy!
southerncooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Thanks everyone! Just wanted to say I made them with cornmeal/ flour breading, and I fried them in some macadamia nut oil - OMG - heavenly. thanks for all your responses. Deb
exactly150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
Master Chef
I'm drooling!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef
Fried green tomatoes are unripe tomatoes, yes. Originally, they were served when the growing season was ending and you were left with many unripe, green tomatoes on the vine, and the weather was turning too cool to ever hope to see them ripen. They are traditionally dipped in a mixture of corn meal and flour and highly seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika and herbs.
I've never seen them available in a local supermarket, however. I always get mine from a produce vendor in the city.
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Green tomatoes are any upripe tomato, but most people collect them when the vines have just about died off, but still have green tomatoes attached which won't ripen naturally. There are countless ways of using them - in pies, jams, chutneys, relishes, casseroles, pickles, breads, sauces, salsa, even cakes!

Green Tomato Butter
3kg green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons powdered ginger
2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon
1 teaspoon powdered allspice
2.5kg brown sugar
juice of two lemons
2 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat 2-3 to three hours, until mixture is thick, stirring frequently. Press through a colander or strainer to remove seeds and any hard bits of pulp. Reheat to boiling and pour into hot, sterilised jars. Seal immediately.
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
Executive Chef
the best tasting fried green tomatoes i ever ate were at a county fair years ago. a little old white haired lady with an ordinary looking iron skillet was cooking these incredible smelling green tomatoes (first i'd heard of such) and drawing a crowd from as far as the smell could reach. what i distinctly remember about these tomatoes, besides their being coated with some kind of bread crumbs, was that they were cooked in a powerfully vinegary sauce that practically sent me catapulting up over the top of the ferris wheels. does anyone know of a recipe for fried green onions involving vinegar? i've been searching for some time but no luck so far. or was it just a dream?
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
My grandma would dredge the tomato slices in seasoned flour, fry on both sides in bacon drippings, and them cover with cream, simmer until the cream was thick. Served on a slice of toast (preferrably homemade bread) with bacon....yummy.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Master Chef
My grandmother fried them in bacon grease and then made a sawmill style gravy.

She topped the slices of fried tomato with a poached egg, gravy and then two crossed slices of crisp bacon to make a countrified version of eggs Benedict.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote