"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Fried spinach question..

This is a very simple dish. My friend made it for a few of us and it was devine, simply garlic and butter and fry spinach in it. I looked up a recipe and it said to blanch or otherwise boil the spinach for a few minutes before frying. however this messed up the frying and I didnt think to really pat the spinach dry with towels just squeezed it and tossed it in. But it made a difference. ANyhow what do you all think? Blanch it or not?

BTW: it's a fantastic dish made right.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

I don't know which you would need to do, but I tried this for the first time last night at the Italian cafe we went to. They were light, crispy, yummy, and I just had to have more!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

Well, if it said to blanch it then try that but follow the instructions exactly so pat dry them if that is what it calls for.
And if that doesn't work, toss em in the frying pan and see what happens, LOL. That's half the fun of cooking!
Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Never done this, but I would infuse the butter with garlic...toss in the spinach...give it few stirs for a minute...plate and serve.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I'm with Bob.
We do this every few days, in season.
Just pick 4x what you think you'll need, dump into a sink filled with cold water, shake to dislodge the dirt and spiders. spin dry in the salad spinner, and dump into a big pot that has butter and garlic cooking. Fire up the heat, stir a few times, and you'll have almost enough for supper.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Head Chef

I love spinach but the spinach I get here in Vegas and in California is nothing like the deliciously flavored curly spinach I get in Michigan (Aunt Mid's brand.) When I use fresh spinach in Michigan I just rinse it, shake it and put it into a skillet with butter and olive oil, one Tablespoon of each. Drop an smashed garlic clove or two, and a finely chopped jalapeno pepper in the pan and then the spinach. Saute for about 5 minutes then remove. Salt and pepper and I like a squeeze or two of lemon juice.

In case you're wondering, the jalapeno pepper was added after having a sauteed spinach side dish in a Portugese restaurant in Traverse City, Michigan. I don't think I ever had spinach that good before so now I use it all the time.
When I make spinach here in Vegas, I buy frozen leaf spinach and go from there. I don't dry it just squeeze as much moisture as possible.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I agree with Uncle Bob and Walt. Spinach already has a lot of moisture in it and cooks very rapidly. There's no need to blanch or boil first. It will just turn to mush. Sautee with butter and garlic. For something different, try adding a splash of Pernod before serving.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I buy a bag of salad spinach which barely makes two servings. I melt 2T butter in a large saucepan and put the spinach in a little at a time, adding more as it wilts, then covering. It only takes about 5 minutes to do the whole thing. I add a little black pepper, and I eat mine with a splash of malt vinegar...

Blanching it really seems pointless...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I probably didnt explain quite well, I blanched it when I made it and it didnt work so well. So I agree with Bob et al. do not blanche just fry directly.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Master Chef

Sounds good to me ;)

Tags
None