Frozen stir-fry vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My grandmother introduced me to eating the core of the celery at the bottom. She would trim off the very bottom, which was brown. Once trimmed, it was a clean white. And the core taste like a mild celeriac. Now, we fight for it

DH loves homegrown celery and doesn't like store bought. It is not bitter and although he avoided it for years, growing it at home really helped.
You Fight For it?

We fight for the stems to fresh broccoli, the corners to the brownies, the end-crust on the whole grained bread, the first tomato of the year that's turned red, the first sweet corn available locally in the season, the garlic buttered tiny smooth skinned tiny kennebec potatoes after harvest. Fight? Ya wanna fight? It's more like a race but I certainly understand where you are coming from.

You Fight For it?

We fight for the stems to fresh broccoli, the corners to the brownies, the end-crust on the whole grained bread, the first tomato of the year that's turned red, the first sweet corn available locally in the season, the garlic buttered tiny smooth skinned tiny kennebec potatoes after harvest. Fight? Ya wanna fight? It's more like a race but I certainly understand where you are coming from.

Well, we used to fight, and yes, and all out brawl, when we were kids, along with pickles and olives. Today, we just grab them before they make it to the table, which really pisses my mother off. And its not that we cant afford a can of olives, or jar of pickles, its just that getting the first one, or the one your brother or sister would have selected just seems to taste that much better :LOL:

Well, we used to fight, and yes, and all out brawl, when we were kids, along with pickles and olives. Today, we just grab them before they make it to the table, which really pisses my mother off. And its not that we cant afford a can of olives, or jar of pickles, its just that getting the first one, or the one your brother or sister would have selected just seems to taste that much better :LOL:
:LOL: lol, I know I get it. Oh pickles and olives....yum! Or the last one!

But again, back on topic: have you brocccoli lovers ever tried Yu-choy? Stems, leaves, and flowers are all delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy wee frozen bags, enough for 2 , all veges are pretty much the same, no peeling broccoli here, we love the quickness of them. 2.30 in the microwave.

Russ

Back to the frozen veggies :LOL:....I've bought bags of frozen broccoli and cauliflower before and didn't like them at all. Way too mushy for my taste -I like a much firmer bite to them. I sometimes have frozen corn and green beans...for some reason I can handle those a little better.

...there's being correct and knowledgeable about things, and then there's in-your-face-righteousness.

IT IS PORK ROLL, NOT taylor ham. Why can't you just accept that?

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with bananas.

CD :huh:

Last edited:
My grandmother used to go through the trouble of peeling mushrooms..I never peel mushrooms...
I've resorted to peeling mushrooms when I find a container of them hiding in the veggie bin and they've gone all brown and moist. Once peeled, they are white and pretty again. This works, of course, as long as the mushrooms are still firm. If that tub of mushrooms has turned to mushies, there is no hope.

...As for the strings, they only bother me if they get caught between my teeth.
Just think of it as Nature's Dental Floss.

The light colored inner stalks are more "tender," for lack of a better term. I like the taste better, too, when raw....
Once in a Blue Moon, my Dad would take me grocery shopping. He taught me that the paler the full stalk of celery, the sweeter the flavor. I never understood why, but he was right. Fast forward to our first house, and the neighbor behind us put in a garden. One year he grew celery. When the stalk got tall enough, he carefully wrapped each "baby" in its own blanket of kraft paper. This "blanching" process prevents the photosynthesis in the plant, resulting in a more tender veggie. He grew them just the one year partly because it was a pain to keep them wrapped right. The other is that the bugs managed to nibble on about half the ribs in each stalk. :glare:

This thread has been heavily Moderated. Off Topic posts removed and discussion of Moderation removed. Off Topic discussion needs to go to Off Topic, not in a food forum.

Did the stir fry last night. Coating the strip steak in corn starch made all the difference in the world. The pieces fried up with a velvety like texture maintaining more meat flavor than if I hadn't. No rubbery texture either. As far as the vegetables go, I liked the flavor of some pieces over others, which is why I'm still going to pursue making my own custom mix of frozen Asian vegetables. Also, I put the frozen vegetables in the fridge an hour and a half beforehand so they weren't so rock hard frozen come fry time. Served it on a bed of white rice.

This thread has been heavily Moderated. Off Topic posts removed and discussion of Moderation removed. Off Topic discussion needs to go to Off Topic, not in a food forum.

Ok,I know where you are coming from, but if everyone is getting on and the topic keeps rolling along, why would you stop it.? Just saaaaying.

Sorry if I offend......princess.

Russ:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom