Frozen stir-fry vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
While being convenient, they throw in really large stalks of the broccoli stems (for instance). Chunks that while stir frying, never get soft because those pieces are so freaking big. I'm not sure why they think a broccoli stem is sexy, but they put plenty of those in that "frozen stir-fry" bag.

I'm thinking this, why not try and buy each of those frozen stir-fry ingredients by themselves, if possible? Petite frozen broccoli heads instead of broccoli stalk chunks. Frozen mushrooms, frozen onions, carrots, etc. Then mix them up into a plastic freezer bag(s). It might be more expensive buying frozen vegetables that way , but at least I won't have to try and stir fry huge frozen broccoli stems :LOL: ;)

Last edited:
Here, in Italy, mixes of frozen vegetables are all the rage. They do one thing that only one thing for me which is that they're very convenient. I don't rate them very much howether, because I don't rate them to be the best of ingredients.

Here we plant vegetables that mature through the seasons, and we learn to plan what we grow and use them when it's the right time.

Having said that, every now and again, I do use frozen bags of mixed vegetables and cerials, but very rarely.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Some folks find the best way to buy veggies for a stir fry is to go to a salad bar and pick the combination of veggies and quantities you need. A little more costly but there's no waste.

Caslon, maybe you should check out some other brands. I agree that the broccoli (and cauliflower) pieces are too big, but the brand we use doesn't leave excessive stem.

I think it might actually be cheaper to get the individual frozen vegis and mix them to your taste. We often add frozen corn kernels to our frozen stir fry mix because it's cheaper and we really like the extra corn. OTOH, if you want the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, etc., you will probably be hard pressed to find those frozen other than in some stir fry mixes.

We buy certain individual frozen vegetables. too keep on hand and sometimes we buy mixed. When we plan to have stir-fry, we buy fresh and plan another meal that will use them the same week. With fresh broccoli, I peel the stems. I actually prefer the stems over the florets.

Ive always found that frozen broccoli ( unless specified florets) consists of at least 50 % the stem. It wouldn't be so bad if the stem was peeled, but it usually contains the tough, fibrous, outer portion of the stem.

I actually like the stem portion of fresh broccoli when peeled even more than the florets.

I make a produce run weekly, so when stir fry is on my weekly menu, I accommodate it with fresh produce. As mentioned above, if the produce can only be bought in abundance to the stirfry, I will plan my weekly meals accordingly, as not to waste anything.

I due keep frozen peas and frozen chopped spinach on hand. I find them to be consistent in quality, and the same as fresh in cooked dishes. That being said, neither would be a vegetable Id put in a stir fry.

As far as buying individual frozen veggies and assembling your own pre stirfry frozen package. At least you have control of what you will be using. Freezer life won't last forever, so as long as you use it before it gets freezer burnt, why not.

IMO frozen vegetables give off too much water to use them in a stir fry.

I love frozen veggies and eat them all the time, but not in stir fry.

I'm with Craig and Larry. I like the peeled broccoli stems the best too. I use them in crudités and sliced as a salad or stir fry ingredient.

If they are getting frost beards, I defrost them in a colander and use the water that drips off when making a vegi "stock". If they don't have frost beards, I just throw them on the pan frozen and the water seems to all evaporate by the time they are fully thawed and starting to cook.

I use frozen veggies, but I usually steam them, so they cook through pretty well. I can see where stir frying would not do that.

Hey, maybe par cook them with steam, then sir fry. Hmmmm.

I love frozen fruits that are out of season fresh. They are generally picked ripe, and flash frozen, so they taste better. Texture can be an issue, but I can live with good taste alone.

CD

Personally, I agree.
You won't get the same texture stir frying frozen veggies as you would fresh.
But I guess out of convenience, frozen is the next best thing.

OTOH, if you want the bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, etc., you will probably be hard pressed to find those frozen other than in some stir fry mixes.

Right. I may have to buy some stir-fry vegetables and quick freeze them by spreading them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer. While the frozen stir fry bags are inexpensive, they are often overloaded with the cheaper vegetables.

Right. I may have to buy some stir-fry vegetables and quick freeze them by spreading them out on a cookie sheet in the freezer. While the frozen stir fry bags are inexpensive, they are often overloaded with the cheaper vegetables.
It just occurred to me that you might be able to get those vegis frozen or better frozen stir fry mix in an Asian grocery store.

I would appreciate it if you would stop speculating on the mods' motives. If you don't like it, address it with them via private message.

I never speculated, I said they are sensitive souls, fact. I don't know who the mods are or even care to be honest. As I said....gutless. I've never ever been deleted on any board I'm on. And I'm on lots.

Russ

Yeah, freeze them first, before bagging. I do that with my home grown peppers. I also vacuum bag them. I've only done that with peppers, though.

CD

During peak season, I freeze raspberries, pitted cherries, and peeled sliced peaches on baking sheets, then bag them. There are few finer things than "fresh" summer fruit when the winds are blowin' and the snow is piling up.

Good point. There's a couple of those giant Asian supermarkets that I've driven past but never checked out. I will.
If any of them are H-Mart, stop in when you have lots of time. A great and interesting place to browse.

If anyone doesn't mind me expanding a little on this topic, I bought some strip steak at Walmart to add to the vegetable stir-fry. It comes packaged just like thin bacon strips. I cut the slices crosswise into 3 sections and froze two sections for later. Anyways...this lady who was doing a demo of the stir-fry first coated her strip steak slices in cornstarch before pan frying them. I'm going to try doing that also. She cooked the meat, set that aside, added the veggies and fried them with some teriyaki marinade, then added the meat back in. BTW, the frozen vegetable bag was called "Broccoli Stir-Fry Vegetables".

Last edited:
If anyone doesn't mind me expanding a little on this topic, I bought some strip steak at Walmart to add to the stir-fry. It comes packaged just like thin bacon strips. I cut the slices crosswise into 3 sections and froze two sections for later. Anyways...this lady who was doing a demo of the stir-fry first coated her strip steak slices in cornstarch before pan frying them. I'm going to try doing that also.

When that cornstarch mixes with whatever oil you are using for your stir fry, it will work as a thickener, and create more of a "sauce." I've never done that, but it makes sense. I'l have to try it next time I do a stir fry.

CD

Also, strip steaks are thin and cook so quickly, so a little cornstarch soaks up any liquid on the meat so that it browns nicely, rather than steams.

Back
Top Bottom