"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

Now, I only have about a dozen square feet of garden. Our "spring" such as it was, was cold and rainy. But I was talking to friends and acquaintances recently, and discovered that I had the earliest tomatoes and cucumbers, and this includes some pros. Three tomatoes, three cucumbers. It made me feel proud of myself, because it has been a very difficult year in our area. It was mostly dumb luck, but I'm happy to have salads from the garden!!!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Congratulations! I always do better when I plant no more than I can tend to, so i ma crediting you with good planning rather than dumb luck..

Nora C
NoraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
you must have good soil and a green thumb, claire.

wasn't it your hubby who said you have soil, not dirt, right?

unfortunately, i have dirt. it used to be soil, but it's been growing a garden for 60 plus years, and i haven't amended it much in the past few years, so it's just dirt.

i got my garden in almost 2 months late this year, so i'm hoping for a warm september.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
I cannot wait for my tomatoes to come in! Congrats!
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Congrats! Our garden was a flop this year. We have a few tomatoes and parsley and a little bit of basil, but nothing else grew.
CookingMamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #6
Executive Chef
My brother took these pics on the 26th june whilst we were away. He and our next door neighbour Roger did a good job of baby sitting the garden.http://photobucket.com/garden26thjune
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Master Chef
Yes, my husband says everywhere else has dirt, but our part of the country has soil. Since I keep it small (I do some freezing, but never could get into canning) enough for me to handle easily by myself, and after living here a decade I know what works for me and do very little experimentation and grow almost nothing from seed (lettuce, spinach, some herbs). I buy the largest, prettiest plants I can and with tomatoes I do a few early girls and then one big/better boy (gives me my fall tomatoes when the early girls die back). We, too, got a late start. Our area had over 10 year records this spring for heat, for cold, for rain, and for snow. Let's throw a little hail in for variety. So it was almost june before I got started.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
Senior Cook
We had lots of lettice this year, was a little bitter though. Few good tomatoes, and potatoes that sprung up from nowhere as no one remembers planting them! We also had 5 small but quite juice strawberries - despite a squirrel knocking the bird feeder onto the plant and breaking the stem. :D

Congrats on your Tomatoes and cucumber Claire - nothing better then veg from the garden!
ChocolateFrosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Head Chef
I had my first tomato on the first of July--a record for me. I think I cheated, however--the tomato plants had little tomatoes on them when I planted them. No cukes yet--my first planting never came up. I do have flowers on the second planting, so I will have cukes and zukes soon. I picked a kohlrabi yesterday, too, but I think there are only 2 or 3 still in the garden.

I will be starting fall broccoli plants soon--my neighbor says she no longer plants spring broccoli, because it does so much better here in the fall--no little green worms!!
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Master Chef
Well done :) I just used the last of my garden tomatoes, only a few cherry tomatoes left now. Had a good season, didn't have to buy any for 3 months. I still have herbs and chillies, the peppadews are almost all gone too :(
I still have many kinds of herbs and my papayas are nearly ready. The frost hit us bad this year so most of my plants got damaged or destroyed!
I was thinking of buying some heirloom seeds after winter and trying them out in my garden. Botswana is just so darn dry and hot in Summer, it's a real battle to grow anything. We get most of our fresh produce from South Africa, wish I didn't have to leave my garden behind when we moved. I think I miss it the most!

"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote