"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Garlic and herb eggplant-rec.

This is easy and tastes wonderful especially with grilled chicken..I use the Japanese eggplants the skinny long ones..The big oval ones are just to thick for me..
4-Tab.evoo
8-small eggplants all about the same size
2-cloves finely chopped garlic
2-Tab. chopped fresh basil
salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Put rack in center of oven and preheat to 400f. Then oil a baking pan. trim the ends off the eggplant and cut in half the long way. Cut several slits in the cut surface and place cut side up on your pan. Mix together evoo,garlic,basil,salt and pepper. Spread over the cut surface, easing some of the garlic and basil into the slits. Bake 25-30 min or til tender. Good served hot or room temp. Most of the time when I take out of the oven I give them a sprinkle of fresh grated parmesan..

enjoy,
kadesma

Old 06-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
Head Chef

Hi, kadesma! Thanks for the recipe!! I'm gonna try it myself and send the recipe to my daughter. She grows eggplant and basil - she'll love it!!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Hi, kadesma! Thanks for the recipe!! I'm gonna try it myself and send the recipe to my daughter. She grows eggplant and basil - she'll love it!!
Great Callie,
Hope you both like it. It's so easy it's shameful

kadesma
Old 06-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Peel Them?

Japanese eggplants, do they have to be peeled? They are about the size of zucchini aren't they? I never have eaten them. Are they similar to regular eggplants?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Japanese eggplants, do they have to be peeled? They are about the size of zucchini aren't they? I never have eaten them. Are they similar to regular eggplants?
ITK,
Japanese eggplants taste just like regular eggplant, they are just long and skinny..Bigger than zucchini, unless it's one that is left to get huge I'd say maybe 8-12 inches long and as big around as a use to be fifty cent piece. I prefer them for this recipe as the reg. large oval ones are to thick and meaty.

kadesma
Sorry Itk, no for this recipe I don't peel them.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I don't peel them.

This sounds great. Paul planted some reg egg plants in the garden. I'll pick some before they get tooo big a tough.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I agree with you Kadesma, for the most part I tend to prefer thinner eggplants too, or small ones like the little white guys that you can sometimes find in Italian markets (they actually do resemble eggs, so hence their name). I'm with you 100% on the parm, I would give them a generous sprinkling

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Whoa, today must be a melanzane/aubergine/eggplant day... (whatever you call them they are equally good!! ) Together with the Imam Biyaldi from Ishbel, this one is also a keeper!! I can never have enough of recipes for one of my favourite summer vegetables!!

And yes I am in the agreement that I prefer smaller versions, their flavours tend to be more intense than those "blimpies"...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I don't peel them.

This sounds great. Paul planted some reg egg plants in the garden. I'll pick some before they get tooo big a tough.

Thanks!
Welcome

kadesma
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina
I agree with you Kadesma, for the most part I tend to prefer thinner eggplants too, or small ones like the little white guys that you can sometimes find in Italian markets (they actually do resemble eggs, so hence their name). I'm with you 100% on the parm, I would give them a generous sprinkling
I love the small diameter eggplants. I slice them thin and make oven chips with them, just bake with evoo,salt and pepper..let em get a little crisp and they are delicious. Parm is good on the chips too

kadesma

Tags
None