German Cabbage Sauté

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
Oh yum! I love cooked cabbage that still has texture and has not been cooked to death. I like to add some caraway seeds and dark beer to mine.

German Cabbage Saute
2 lb Cabbage.
1 tb Vegetable Oil
1 ts Salt
1 ts Caraway Seeds
1 c Beer, dark (can also use beef broth)
2 Apples, small, tart, cut into thin wedges
1 tb Cornstarch
2 tb Water
3 tb Red Wine Vinegar
pinch of sugar

1.Shred cabbage and set aside.
2.Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven, add cabbage, and saute for 3 minutes. Season with salt and caraway seeds.
3.Pour in the beer/broth and cover, simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
4.Add apples to cabbage and simmer for another 15 minutes. Blend cornstarch with cold water, add to cabbage mixture, and stir until thickened and bubbly. Season with vinegar and sugar, then serve warm.

I think I could easily make this a meal for myself, all by itself!!!

Thanks, kansasgirl! ;)

kansasgirl said:
Oh yum! I love cooked cabbage that still has texture and has not been cooked to death. I like to add some caraway seeds and dark beer to mine.

German Cabbage Saute

This sounds good kansasgirl. I to do not like soggy vegies, especially the leafy ones, so I always undercook cabbage. I was given a similar recipe to yours from a Greek friend, they added some brown sugar and the apples and onions . Guess traditions and recipes go through migration like people. I used to love something called Bubble and Squeak which was a recipe I got from Two Fat Ladies FoodTV show, it was just cabbage, potatoes and onions. very good as well. BTW I like your addition of caraway seeds.

Thanks all - it really is fabulous. You can serve it with some great German sausage and crusty bread to round out a meal.

Back
Top Bottom