"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks, oldvine and to all of you for your advice & comments. I think maybe I'll cook up some smaller ones, also - Just.In.Case! Don't want to ruin Thanksgiving by not having a nice blast of starchy vegetables.

Do you recommend I smear it with a bit of oil or fat before putting it in the oven? I'm not a great baker of anything, by the way. When it comes to baking, I really need advice.

Re a carrot being bitter, joesfolk, I've grown various varieties and bitterness appears to not be related to size. Or maybe I just got lucky. As far as soil goes, I've read that in some areas of N.A. you can't grow good carrots at all, 'cuz the soil's all wrong.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Some of those gnarly carrots in the article do not look appetizing. I would think the big ones are fibrous.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Uh oh, we don't have a microwave oven. Can you suggest an alternative procedure?
Boil it
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Senior Cook

My concern was that the Giant Carrot would not roast nicely (like, say a squash or yam) because carrots are so much harder.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
My concern was that the Giant Carrot would not roast nicely (like, say a squash or yam) because carrots are so much harder.
Do you have one or two you can practice with?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Is the carrot still in the ground? Why cook it? Why not display it as a decorative piece and use smaller carrots in the meal. Depending on it's glorious appearance, I might scrubby-dubby it, give it a light coat of oil, maybe even Pam, for some shine, put down a bed of kale and let every one be amazed at the beauty.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you have one or two you can practice with?
Yup. Did that today. I boiled it for 10 minutes, took it out, patted it dry, smeared it with butter, then stuck it in a 375 deg. oven with foil on top for "awhile". Just til a bit of resistance when being punctured with a fork.

Result was nice. The carrot didn't look all collapsed or wrinkled or anything. Of course, it tasted nice, too. This particular variety (old heirloom from France) is only slightly bitter even when small, a nice kind of edge. Not ultra sweet.

Oldvine, I like your suggestion. I just might display the largest of the bunch raw, then serve the slightly smaller ones after cooking as I described.

Can't thank y'all enough.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad to hear it worked out
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
Master Chef

Gonna go outside the box here. Take that giant carrot and slice it into large chunks. Carefully remove the core, maybe with a power drill. Then stuff the carrot chunks with maybe some chopped pecans, honey and butter. That would allow them to bake properly, as heat would hit all sides of the carrot. Another good stuffing would be mashed potato and onion, maybe even with ground beef mixed in, like has, only with all parts in the carrot. A little butter and garlic would make it taste great. With this idea, you have a stuffed carrot to go with the stuffed bird theme. Just an idea. Whether it would work for your application, I don't know. Hope it at least creates some ideas.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrot