"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Giant Puffballs

I am envious of you North Americans about now.
It must be close to the time when you can get close to nature, and sometimes just outside your door, and go searching for giant puffballs.
( Calvatia Gigantea)

I used to eat them every year in Italy but now that I am in a city back in New Zealand, I very rarely see them.

I normally did the flour, egg, breadcrumb thing with thick slices, but have any of you other idea's?

Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Cook

They make a rockin crispy 'strudel' with heirloom tomatoes, home made mozarella and a balsamic basil sauce. 'Noodley' things, like lasagna with some game - some cervena venison would be perfect for you. And of course a foie and puffball brioche sammich with the mushie cooked in that nasty duck fat stuff

It's been AWESOME to have the time to hit all the local markets this year but since it's winter down there I'll spare you the drool.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
Head Chef

I haven't thought of them in years. Im from the fingerlakes in New york and we always found them when we were kids. We did the same things, Flour - egg- flour- fry them or we did the breadcrumbs. Ill have to look this year for them. Thanks for the memory.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My other half, PeppA, and her mother are big into puffballs. I'm not sure how they fried them. I've tried a couple slices, and wasn't impressed.

I actually found about a dozen chantarelles out in the woods last weekend. I picked two, and brought them in to show my sous chef, as I wasn't totally sure of what they were. I should have taken some pictures.

I did go back into the woods a few days ago, looking for some, and didn't find any. I found some other mushrooms, and they all had bite marks on them. Looks like the deer are getting hungry.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Never heard of puffballs - can you find them in Michigan ? I have a mushroom in my yard now - never know whats edible -it started out round and grew fast into a 4 inch flatesh circle. Hmmm ?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

You mean those things that belch a big puff of green smoke when you step on them? I didn't even know you could eat them!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Master Chef

Just be very careful out there guys. There are many many toxic mushrooms that resemble an edible puffball when young.

Unless you're an expert, or have access to an expert, don't ever taste-experiment funghi you've harvested yourself. You could easily be setting yourself up for anything from a stomach upset, to kidney/liver failure, to a painful death. And all because you decided to taste a mushroom you found growing in your yard that someone without proper knowledge or direct access to that mushroom for proper identification told you was safe to eat.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

No, I would never eat anything Iam not sure of -- in fact had portabella's on the grill the other night-my 9yr. old GS asked his Mom if this was the mushroom from Grandma's yard-(I had told him it was poisonus not to touch !! ) lol Sweet boy !
Old 08-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Mmmmmm Gooood!

I just picked three, one per grocery bag. I left the other 1 1/2 footers there for someone else. I guess fritters tonight and some duxelles for later. I truly am sorry about your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan View Post
I am envious of you North Americans about now.
It must be close to the time when you can get close to nature, and sometimes just outside your door, and go searching for giant puffballs.
( Calvatia Gigantea)

I used to eat them every year in Italy but now that I am in a city back in New Zealand, I very rarely see them.

I normally did the flour, egg, breadcrumb thing with thick slices, but have any of you other idea's?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Big ones (Calvatia), smaller ones (Lycoperdon), poisonous ones (Scleroderma), fatal look-alikes (immature Amanitas) -- grab yourself the Audubon Field Guide to Mushrooms if you're curious and read it thoroughly before you act on any of that curiosity. The book covers our shared geography nicely (Ontario -- me and Michigan -- you). What you should really go look for is Morels in the Spring. Huge in Michigan and here. But get the Guide first.

advice from a verrry experienced mushroomer (and living).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
Never heard of puffballs - can you find them in Michigan ? I have a mushroom in my yard now - never know whats edible -it started out round and grew fast into a 4 inch flatesh circle. Hmmm ?

Tags
None