"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,709
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
In other words, verbatim is verboten.
Groan
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Wait... you picked out the chicken from a chicken pot pie?

The beans and pearl onions, yum.
White chicken, white turkey, any white bird meat. I don't like it. But the dog gobbled it right up. Didn't go to waste.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
White chicken, white turkey, any white bird meat. I don't like it. But the dog gobbled it right up. Didn't go to waste.
Well that's a good thing

I love any kind of poultry. Chicken being my favorite. I'm a dark meat gal, though. I'll eat chicken breast and turkey breast, etc, but I prefer the dark stuff.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Well that's a good thing

I love any kind of poultry. Chicken being my favorite. I'm a dark meat gal, though. I'll eat chicken breast and turkey breast, etc, but I prefer the dark stuff.
I only buy the legs and thighs of the bird. Pirate love the breast. If he is lucky and I am in a good mood, I will pick up a couple of chicken breast for him. What he does with them is his choice. We eat separate meals on the night he cooks his chicken breasts.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #25
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I only buy the legs and thighs of the bird. Pirate love the breast. If he is lucky and I am in a good mood, I will pick up a couple of chicken breast for him. What he does with them is his choice. We eat separate meals on the night he cooks his chicken breasts.


This is the same thing I went through with Matthew (my SO, rest his soul). I wanted legs and thighs and he would only eat the breast meat.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post


This is the same thing I went through with Matthew (my SO, rest his soul). I wanted legs and thighs and he would only eat the breast meat.
Aside from my SO I know no one who prefers dark meat poultry. One daughter even refuses to try duck because, "It's all dark meat."
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 1,062
I'm another dark meat guy; unless I'm slicing things for Chinese or other stir-fries, I prefer thighs, and I like the fact that boneless, skinless thighs are now as available as boneless, skinless breasts. I use them in recipes calling for diced chicken, though the thighs are a little irregular.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #28
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Aside from my SO I know no one who prefers dark meat poultry. One daughter even refuses to try duck because, "It's all dark meat."
Well here's the thing... I like dark meat when it comes to chicken and turkey, but I don't like duck. It's just bitter and greasy to me. The only time I'll eat duck is if my cousin and I go to a local Chinese place for lunch. We'll often order the Pineapple Duck and split it. But I think the reason I can eat it then is because the flavor of the duck is masked by all the pineapple and the sweet sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I'm another dark meat guy; unless I'm slicing things for Chinese or other stir-fries, I prefer thighs, and I like the fact that boneless, skinless thighs are now as available as boneless, skinless breasts. I use them in recipes calling for diced chicken, though the thighs are a little irregular.
Ditto on all. If I'm doing a stir-fry, I'll use chicken breast. But yes on those boneless/skinless thighs. LOVE them. I also love turkey thighs, roasting them to get the skin nice and crispy.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,798
As a side note, chicken breast cooked sous vide to a lower temperature is outstanding and will change your opinion about white meat chicken. I'm not saying it'll become your new fave, just that it's so much better than what you're used to.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #30
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 818
It's not that I won't eat the breast meat, because I do love a thick, juicy baked chicken breast. But you're right, it depends on how it's cooked. And, of course, a nice BBQ breast straight from the grill is delicious. But even better from the grill is a plate full of thighs and legs!
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
There's lots of different views. Depends on the dish.

Tikka Masala isn't the same without white meat.

Halal cart chicken over rice isn't the same without dark meat.

To bring it back home, my wife often laughs when she sees my brick of frozen pearl onions in cream sauce somewhere squirreled away in either the kitchen or garage fridges.

Pagans, the lot, who disparage pearl onions in cream sauce on a Holy Day.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #32
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,250
I used to be a "white meat only" eater. Now we mostly cook chicken thighs.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
Sous Chef
 
Linda0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
There's lots of different views. Depends on the dish.

Tikka Masala isn't the same without white meat.

Halal cart chicken over rice isn't the same without dark meat.

To bring it back home, my wife often laughs when she sees my brick of frozen pearl onions in cream sauce somewhere squirreled away in either the kitchen or garage fridges.

Pagans, the lot, who disparage pearl onions in cream sauce on a Holy Day.
Protect those onions

Pearl onions in cream sauce is like heaven on a plate to me.
__________________

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
glaze, onion, onions, pear, recipe

Glazed Pearl Onions Must. Make. These! [url]https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/glazed-pearl-onions.html[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×