"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

thanks for all the advice. i think i'll try baking the potatoes and see where that gets me. how long does one bake a potato for for this sort of endeavor?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Russets bake at 400F for about 45-60 minutes. Take them out when they're cooked through - use a knife to test.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Everymom

I usually bake the potatoes for potato skins then use the insides for gnocchi. Bake like Andy suggests.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I always use baking potatoes, in their jackets, boil them drain them then put them back in the pot over heat to dry them... I then peel them and proceed...

I do the same thing. Works like a clock for me.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

You can also "bake" them in your microwave to save a lot of time. I do two large Idaho potatoes - pierced in several places to allow steam to escape - for 7 minutes on High. Then turn them over & do another 7 minutes. Then wrap them in a kitchen towel to rest for another 7 minutes. Perfect taters every time.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

Oh - & if you're microwaving those taters for plain old baked potatoes - make your "piercings" in one longitudinal line on just one side. Makes for easy splitting. :)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
Flour Child

Olive Garden has been generous enough to post their recipe on their website for Chicken & Gnocchi...including how to make the gnocchi from scratch. Here's their link:
Olive Garden Italian Restaurant - Recipes - Recipe Search

...and here's a cut&paste of the gnocchi part of Olive Garden's recipe:

Gnocchi
2 qt water
6 oz all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 lbs russet potatoes
2 tsp salt
OR
1 lb gnocchi (potato dumplings), cooked according to package directions

Procedures
NOTE: You may make your own gnocchi by following the steps below, or you may purchase them already made.

1. WASH potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
  2. PEEL cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
  3. COMBINE potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time if needed).
  4. DIVIDE dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into ” pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
  5. BRING water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None