Olive Garden has been generous enough to post their recipe on their website for Chicken & Gnocchi...including how to make the gnocchi from scratch. Here's their link:
Olive Garden Italian Restaurant - Recipes - Recipe Search
...and here's a cut&paste of the gnocchi part of Olive Garden's recipe:
2 qt water
6 oz all-purpose flour
2 lbs russet potatoes
2 tsp salt
1 lb gnocchi (potato dumplings), cooked according to package directions
NOTE: You may make your own gnocchi by following the steps below, or you may purchase them already made.
- WASH potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
- PEEL cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
- COMBINE potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time if needed).
- DIVIDE dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into ½” pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
- BRING water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.