"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
marmalady - I put the cheese in the middle layer. That is probably why you are being "impatient" so to speak. You see the top browning and maybe you keep opening the oven to check, thus cooling the potatoes each time.

Put a layer in the middle and let it cook untouched for 1 hour (covered if you want like Audeo) - Then the last 1/2 hour you can, if you want, add more cheese to the top and let melt and somewhat brown. But before you add the cheese test with a knife to make sure potatoes are near done or done. I personally like the cheese in the middle - it's like a treasure! LOL

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I put cheese in the middle, too - and on top! The only thing I haven't done is cook it covered - I'll try that next time, and see what I get. And dutifully report back! Tx, folks!

Old 11-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I would leave it off the top until the last 30 minutes - I would be tempted to cook it about 45 minutes covered then uncovered with cheese added.

Well, if you want you can just cook it at my house :oops: I'm craving this stuff now!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef

LOL - Be careful what you wish for, Elf! I've been thinking about a little road trip to visit a friend in Knoxville soon, and I'll have to cruise pretty close to where you are!

And tx for all the help - I do have some 'breathing' room to experiement; this is for a Christmas dinner with all of hubbie's family, who will be coming down from NC the Monday after Christmas. They're such wonderful folk, his mom and dad, but getting up there in age; and we've never had the opportunity to have the whole family together for a holiday, so this is gonna be a special one.

My 'theme' for the meal is to keep it simple, with foods they're familiar with, but to 'kick' it up a bit!
Old 02-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

sounds delicious. I don't have a mandoline but probably could use my food processor with the slicing blade.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

You can. It might take a bit longer to cook, that's all! You just have to pierce with a knife or stick a fork in the potatoes - it should be soft. If there's any crunchy you will notice it. Plan ahead is my best advice i.e., have an extra 30 minutes to spare if additional cooking is necessary and don't be afraid to stick some foil back on the top if it's not cooking to your satisfaction.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Master Chef

All these great Au gratin recipes lately, and now this wonderful recipe, but I am supposed to be limiting my carbs!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
sounds delicious. I don't have a mandoline but probably could use my food processor with the slicing blade.
LadyCook, do you have the 1mm slicing blade? That's what I use when I make this gratin. (BTW, Patricia Wells suggests that during baking you turn the potatoes over in the creamy mixture several times during baking, cutting down from the center out. and then leave it alone and uncovered for the last 30 minutes, which should ensure a brown, crusty top.) Interestingly, I've found many gratins in France -- not just potato -- that contain no cheese at all. After all, "Gratin" means browned, not cheese!

Potato Gratin

This is a true “Gratin” in the Lyonnaise style. That means it’s made with milk and cream. Cheese is NOT a requirement, but if you miss it, you may add 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese about 20 minutes before the gratin has finished baking.

makes 6 to 8 servings – it’s rich!

1 medium garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
5 medium-sized all-purpose potatoes (about 2 pounds total) peeled and rinsed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Rub the inside of a 13 x 8 1/2 x 1 3/4-inch gratin dish with the garlic, then with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
2. Crush the garlic. Combine milk and cream with the sage and garlic in a nonreactive saucepan. Slowly bring the mixture to a simmer, but do not boil.
3. Cut the potatoes in half crosswise and slice them with the thin (2mm) slicing disc or on a mandoline. Arrange one-third of the potatoes in the gratin dish. Strain the milk-cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve and pour one-third over the potatoes. Dot with 1 tablespoon of the butter cut into small pieces, and season with salt and pepper. Repeat the process twice more.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until the custard is firm and potatoes are golden brown.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
Master Chef

LadyCook, do you have the 1mm slicing blade?

The smallest I have is the 2mm.

Tags
None