"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Gratin Dauphinois Recipe

Hello to all,

My second submission to this friendly forum will be a Gratin Dauphinois. I ve got the recipe from my mother. This is a very comforting dish, a winter special ;))

This is a perfect side dish for a roasted beef for example (big stomach),
or for a fresh and zingy salad (normal stomach)...

Here you will find a photo and the recipe in text format.

This time I won't be posting the link to the video because it doesn't respect the guidelines of this forum (but it is available anyway).

Ingredients
----------------
- About ten potatoes
- 3 cups double cream
- nutmeg
- clove of garlic
- salt
- pepper

Cookware
--------------
- Oven proof dish
- Pan
- slicer, mandolin (not required)

Instructions
-----------------
- Slice the potatoes into thin stripes ( 3 to 4 mm thick)
- Season them with salt and pepper
- put 3 cups of double cream and a clove of garlic without the skin in a pan
- Get the double cream to a boil
- Lower the heat
- Season with salt pepper and grated nutmeg
- In the oven proof dish, one layer of cream then one layer of potatoes and so on
- In the oven at 180C or 360F for 40 to 45 min
- Out of the oven, spread the grated cheese on top then back in the oven grill mode
- 10 minutes or so
- Et voila : perfect Gratin Dauphinois !

If you have questions, or if you think something is missing please tell me and I will correct it.

Thanks for reading,
Hope to hear from you

Gab

frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I''d like to see the vid.
Could you please PM me the link?
Thanks

Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Master Chef

Your recipe sounds perfect to me, as does the technique. The only change I'd make is to butter the baking dish, to help prevent sticking. Nice job. I look forward to more of your recipes. I'll send you a private message with my pancake recipe. Ask anyone around here. They'll vouch for the recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

fgc, What kind of cheese and how much?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Certified Cake Maniac

This has been a favourite of mine since culinary school! The only difference in our recipe was we lightly poached the potatoes in the cream, but I have since skipped that step and they turn out fine.

Andy, I don't know what kind of cheese Gab used, but I have always used gruyere.

Once you have this, regular scalloped potatoes will never be the same!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I''d like to see the vid.
Could you please PM me the link?
Thanks
Hello Pacanis,

The link is in my signature right below ;)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Your recipe sounds perfect to me, as does the technique. The only change I'd make is to butter the baking dish, to help prevent sticking. Nice job. I look forward to more of your recipes. I'll send you a private message with my pancake recipe. Ask anyone around here. They'll vouch for the recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Tnak you for your nice comment ! Actually I don't butter the baking dish because my first layer is cream and it acts like a non stick agent. Thanks for the recipe also ;)
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
fgc, What kind of cheese and how much?
I use Gruyere. This is flavorful and melts well. In fact, the cheese on top is not mandatory but I think it adds color and flavor...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
This has been a favourite of mine since culinary school! The only difference in our recipe was we lightly poached the potatoes in the cream, but I have since skipped that step and they turn out fine.

Andy, I don't know what kind of cheese Gab used, but I have always used gruyere.

Once you have this, regular scalloped potatoes will never be the same!
Hello LPBeier,

Thanks for your very nice message ;) Like you I've tried to poach the potato before cooking them but the result ends the same if the potato slices are not too thick (3 to 4 mm max). So I decided to cut it out.

You are right I use Gruyere on top. There is an alternative and that is Beaufort, ending in this case, not in a "Gratin Dauphinois", but a "Gratin Savoyard".

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchguycooking View Post
Hello Pacanis,

The link is in my signature right below ;)
oops. I didn't even notice that...

Tags
cream, garlic, potato, recipe

Gratin Dauphinois Recipe Hello to all, My second submission to this friendly forum will be a Gratin Dauphinois. I ve got the recipe from my mother. This is a very comforting dish, a winter special ;)) This is a perfect side dish for a roasted beef for example (big stomach), or for a fresh and zingy salad (normal stomach)... Here you will find a photo and the recipe in text format. This time I won't be posting the link to the video because it doesn't respect the guidelines of this forum (but it is available anyway). [IMG]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1740/screenshotun.jpg[/IMG] Ingredients ---------------- - About ten potatoes - 3 cups double cream - nutmeg - clove of garlic - salt - pepper Cookware -------------- - Oven proof dish - Pan - slicer, mandolin (not required) Instructions ----------------- - Slice the potatoes into thin stripes ( 3 to 4 mm thick) - Season them with salt and pepper - put 3 cups of double cream and a clove of garlic without the skin in a pan - Get the double cream to a boil - Lower the heat - Season with salt pepper and grated nutmeg - In the oven proof dish, one layer of cream then one layer of potatoes and so on - In the oven at 180C or 360F for 40 to 45 min - Out of the oven, spread the grated cheese on top then back in the oven grill mode - 10 minutes or so - Et voila : perfect Gratin Dauphinois ! If you have questions, or if you think something is missing please tell me and I will correct it. Thanks for reading, Hope to hear from you Gab 3 stars 1 reviews