Gratin Dauphinoise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, starchy, russet or gold
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 –3 garlic cloves, crushed, and finely chopped (1 1/2 teaspoons)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
6 oz shredded Gruyere cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Peel the potatoes and slice them 1/8 inch thick, by hand, or with a food processor. Do not wash the slices.

3. Combine the potato slices, milk, butter, garlic, salt, nutmeg, and pepper in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently to separate the slices and prevent the mixture from scorching. It will thicken as it reaches a boil.

4. Pour the potato mixture into a gratin dish. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour until most of the liquid is absorbed. Potatoes should be almost tender.

5. Pour cream on top and top with Gruyere cheese. Return to oven for 20 to 30 minutes until cheese is browned.

6. Let the potatoes rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
Oh :yum:

How could it not be heart healthy? Just make it in the shape of a heart!

Of course! I think of dairy of all types as great protein and calcium! And, this recipe probably makes 8 servings, and 1/8 cup of cream never hurt anyone :cool:

I wasn't happy with the way this dish turned out. Too much liquid. I'm not sure if the potatoes added to the problem or not. This needs more research and development.

I replaced the original recipe in this thread with another. This one is came together nicely. The step of boiling the potatoes in milk before baking makes a nice thick sauce.

PF will want to eat the whole pan now for sure!

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the batch from today.

ForumRunner_20130224_183952.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom