"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Green Bean ideas?

So I'm making some turkey kiev's for supper tonight with some mashed potatoes and looking in my cupboard there's not any veggies but canned green beans. I don't do the shopping when I'm at home, I just work with what's here. We got a lot of the essentials for cooking, so can probably whip up a lot of ideas if you give me some. I don't cook green beans much at all, feel like doing something different than just heating them up with garlic and herbs like I normally would. Any cool little green been recipes for things like salads or anything you guys got? I'm bored, need something to do.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Sous Chef

not much experince with canned green beans but.....

my mom makes a killer green bean casserole. its green beans, cream of mushroom soup and something else i dont know and then topped with some like french canned onions thing. its darn good.

i either sautee them with butter salt and pepper or ill do that and add some bread crumbs for some extra texture or instead of bread crumbs maybe some bacon.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would go for rendering some chopped up bacon or pancetta untils quirte crisp and the stir fry the green beans in the pan with the bacon bits.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I like some canned green beans. Del Monte, that is. Not all canned veggies are created equal, for sure. I dump the juice out and put them in the pot with EVOO, butter and Italian seasoning. You're probably looking for something fancier, but that works for me.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

A little onion sauteed in a lot of EVOO --- Then add a lot of garlic for a moment or two --- Add the beans ---Add a can of (or a portion thereof) tomatoes. Salt and Pepper --- Simmer --- A quick squeeze of lemon before you serve ......

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
A little onion sauteed in a lot of EVOO --- Then add a lot of garlic for a moment or two --- Add the beans ---Add a can of (or a portion thereof) tomatoes. Salt and Pepper --- Simmer --- A quick squeeze of lemon before you serve ......

Enjoy!
This sounds so yummy, Uncle Bob. Can you indulge me by answering what's probably a stupid question? Can I use the minced garlic that comes in the little jars? And how much is "a lot"? I think I'm going to make this tonight and the only garlic I have in the house is garlic powder and the minced stuff in the little glass jar. Thank you, thank you in advance.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
This sounds so yummy, Uncle Bob. Can you indulge me by answering what's probably a stupid question? Can I use the minced garlic that comes in the little jars? And how much is "a lot"? I think I'm going to make this tonight and the only garlic I have in the house is garlic powder and the minced stuff in the little glass jar. Thank you, thank you in advance.
Thank you, and yes you can use the minced garlic in the little jar. Use what you have. A lot ??? Just to taste ---It's best to start with a little (1/2 teaspoon maybe) then add more to your taste. Same with the tomatoes --- add some (1/2 can maybe) then add more if you like. It all depends on how many beans you have --- Anyway you want to taste the Garlic and the EVOO along with the beans and tomatoes....Just play with it and ---

Enjoy!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Thank you, and yes you can use the minced garlic in the little jar. Use what you have. A lot ??? Just to taste ---It's best to start with a little (1/2 teaspoon maybe) then add more to your taste. Same with the tomatoes --- add some (1/2 can maybe) then add more if you like. It all depends on how many beans you have --- Anyway you want to taste the Garlic and the EVOO along with the beans and tomatoes....Just play with it and ---

Enjoy!!!
Thanks so much, UB. A lady can always count on your assistance. The reason I asked what a lot of garlic is is because your recipe said to add a lot of garlic for a minute or 2. That was cloves of garlic, right? But I didn't know how much "a lot" of the minced stuff would be. (It must be painfully obvious by now that I have never used garlic in cooking before. Can you believe it? But I had purchased the little jar of minced garlic so I could make the leap!)
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the ideas, a like them. I've done the bacon one before, that's always good. I think I'm gonna try a variation of the first one with the canned soup. I think I'll go canned cream of celery soup and sauteed onions, bit of garlic, celery salt and pepper and top it with bread crumb/butter mixture and gratin. Should turn out pretty similar to what you're saying GRK. I like your idea too UncleBob, think I'll try that later in the week.

By the way, what do you guys mean when you say EVOO?? I've seen it posted a lot around the boards, don't know your guys e-slang yet. It's probably something quite simple to figure out but I can't think. Thanks for the response guys.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Thanks so much, UB. A lady can always count on your assistance. The reason I asked what a lot of garlic is is because your recipe said to add a lot of garlic for a minute or 2. That was cloves of garlic, right? But I didn't know how much "a lot" of the minced stuff would be. (It must be painfully obvious by now that I have never used garlic in cooking before. Can you believe it? But I had purchased the little jar of minced garlic so I could make the leap!)
Yes, I would use 3-4-5, depending on size, cloves/sections/toes of fresh garlic --- Saute for only a couple of minutes so it want burn! Burned Garlic taste bitter to me. Look on the jar...It may tell you how much equals a clove of garlic --- I like a lot of garlic --- You may like less -- or more depending on you and your family's taste...Again I suggest you start with a little --Let it work it's way into the dish -- then add more to your taste--- Oh it's not "painfully obvious" to me!!

Tags
None