"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 44
Green Bean ideas?

So I'm making some turkey kiev's for supper tonight with some mashed potatoes and looking in my cupboard there's not any veggies but canned green beans. I don't do the shopping when I'm at home, I just work with what's here. We got a lot of the essentials for cooking, so can probably whip up a lot of ideas if you give me some. I don't cook green beans much at all, feel like doing something different than just heating them up with garlic and herbs like I normally would. Any cool little green been recipes for things like salads or anything you guys got? I'm bored, need something to do.

__________________

__________________
Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
GhettoRacingKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 943
not much experince with canned green beans but.....

my mom makes a killer green bean casserole. its green beans, cream of mushroom soup and something else i dont know and then topped with some like french canned onions thing. its darn good.

i either sautee them with butter salt and pepper or ill do that and add some bread crumbs for some extra texture or instead of bread crumbs maybe some bacon.
__________________

__________________
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
miniman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Basingstoke, England
Posts: 4,687
I would go for rendering some chopped up bacon or pancetta untils quirte crisp and the stir fry the green beans in the pan with the bacon bits.
__________________
"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I like some canned green beans. Del Monte, that is. Not all canned veggies are created equal, for sure. I dump the juice out and put them in the pot with EVOO, butter and Italian seasoning. You're probably looking for something fancier, but that works for me.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
A little onion sauteed in a lot of EVOO --- Then add a lot of garlic for a moment or two --- Add the beans ---Add a can of (or a portion thereof) tomatoes. Salt and Pepper --- Simmer --- A quick squeeze of lemon before you serve ......

Enjoy!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
A little onion sauteed in a lot of EVOO --- Then add a lot of garlic for a moment or two --- Add the beans ---Add a can of (or a portion thereof) tomatoes. Salt and Pepper --- Simmer --- A quick squeeze of lemon before you serve ......

Enjoy!
This sounds so yummy, Uncle Bob. Can you indulge me by answering what's probably a stupid question? Can I use the minced garlic that comes in the little jars? And how much is "a lot"? I think I'm going to make this tonight and the only garlic I have in the house is garlic powder and the minced stuff in the little glass jar. Thank you, thank you in advance.
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
This sounds so yummy, Uncle Bob. Can you indulge me by answering what's probably a stupid question? Can I use the minced garlic that comes in the little jars? And how much is "a lot"? I think I'm going to make this tonight and the only garlic I have in the house is garlic powder and the minced stuff in the little glass jar. Thank you, thank you in advance.
Thank you, and yes you can use the minced garlic in the little jar. Use what you have. A lot ??? Just to taste ---It's best to start with a little (1/2 teaspoon maybe) then add more to your taste. Same with the tomatoes --- add some (1/2 can maybe) then add more if you like. It all depends on how many beans you have --- Anyway you want to taste the Garlic and the EVOO along with the beans and tomatoes....Just play with it and ---

Enjoy!!!
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Thank you, and yes you can use the minced garlic in the little jar. Use what you have. A lot ??? Just to taste ---It's best to start with a little (1/2 teaspoon maybe) then add more to your taste. Same with the tomatoes --- add some (1/2 can maybe) then add more if you like. It all depends on how many beans you have --- Anyway you want to taste the Garlic and the EVOO along with the beans and tomatoes....Just play with it and ---

Enjoy!!!
Thanks so much, UB. A lady can always count on your assistance. The reason I asked what a lot of garlic is is because your recipe said to add a lot of garlic for a minute or 2. That was cloves of garlic, right? But I didn't know how much "a lot" of the minced stuff would be. (It must be painfully obvious by now that I have never used garlic in cooking before. Can you believe it? But I had purchased the little jar of minced garlic so I could make the leap!)
__________________
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 44
Thanks for the ideas, a like them. I've done the bacon one before, that's always good. I think I'm gonna try a variation of the first one with the canned soup. I think I'll go canned cream of celery soup and sauteed onions, bit of garlic, celery salt and pepper and top it with bread crumb/butter mixture and gratin. Should turn out pretty similar to what you're saying GRK. I like your idea too UncleBob, think I'll try that later in the week.

By the way, what do you guys mean when you say EVOO?? I've seen it posted a lot around the boards, don't know your guys e-slang yet. It's probably something quite simple to figure out but I can't think. Thanks for the response guys.
__________________
Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Thanks so much, UB. A lady can always count on your assistance. The reason I asked what a lot of garlic is is because your recipe said to add a lot of garlic for a minute or 2. That was cloves of garlic, right? But I didn't know how much "a lot" of the minced stuff would be. (It must be painfully obvious by now that I have never used garlic in cooking before. Can you believe it? But I had purchased the little jar of minced garlic so I could make the leap!)
Yes, I would use 3-4-5, depending on size, cloves/sections/toes of fresh garlic --- Saute for only a couple of minutes so it want burn! Burned Garlic taste bitter to me. Look on the jar...It may tell you how much equals a clove of garlic --- I like a lot of garlic --- You may like less -- or more depending on you and your family's taste...Again I suggest you start with a little --Let it work it's way into the dish -- then add more to your taste--- Oh it's not "painfully obvious" to me!!
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.