Green Chilies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swinchen

Cook
Does anyone know what variety the infamous "Green Chile" is? I have a book ("Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook") that has several recipes calling for chopped green chilies. I have found several references online, but they are contradictory.. Hatch, or Chilaca, or Anaheim.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be wonderful!

Thanks.

Sam

There may not be a single correct answer.

Any green chile in a\the moderate heat range will work in most recipes. My take is that if a specific green chile was important, the recipe would mention it by name.

Andy M. said:
There may not be a single correct answer.
Sometimes green chiles refer to a canned product. You can get the same only better from fresh by quick roasting and skinning Anaheim or New Mexico chiles, or whatever they have in your neck of the woods.

I think your recipes are referring to the canned product. Look in the mexican isle for the squatish 4 oz can. The can usually says "Green Chile Peppers" and they are mostly diced. I think they are anaheim. Of course, as mentioned, you can always roast your own.

If you can find Hatch green chiles, I think they are the best. They are grown around Hatch, NM.
As others say, they are easily obtained canned which are roasted and skinned. They are available in supermarkets (even in the east) along about mid-summer. I get them and roast them then to freeze.

swinchen said:
I have a book ("Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook") that has several recipes calling for chopped green chilies.

Great book, isn't it? :)

I used canned green chilis.

Lee

The variety is just that, green chile. It is a specific type of pepper. Now, if the recipe calls for Hatch green chiles, it would be referring specifically to the green chiles grown in the Hatch valley of northeren New Mexico. Any other type of pepper will be identified by it's name, such as Anaheim, jalapeño, cherry, New Mexico, serrano, poblano, fresno, habanero, etc.

Now, if the recipe calls for DICED green chiles, I would have to assume it is referring to the canned product, available from most Latino food manufacturers such as Ortega, Las Palmas, Rotel, and yes, there is even a Hatch brand out there. Check the Mexican, Hispanic, or Latino (depending on which is the most popular term where you live) foods aisle of your regular grocery store.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the great responses.

I found this link here: Cook's Thesaurus: Fresh Chiles
It appears as though the common used for green chilies is indeed the Anaheim.

QSis: Yes a wonderful book. His flank steak fajitas are to die for.

Not sure I will be able to find Hatch Chilies, I live in Maine and the food selection seems to be anything other than diverse :) I will keep an eye open though... I wish we would get a whole foods or something similar. The local supermarket caries 2 or 3 types of chilies... Jalapeño, Serrano and Pablano. I may have seen Anaheim once or twice as well.

Thanks again for the info. I like to use fresh over canned whenever possible.

Sam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom