"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Just like green onions, I use my kitchen scissors to cut chives.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #12
Senior Cook

And you might find it easier to cut the while bulbous bit if you crush it with the flat of a knife first.

Also, you know how you use the blade of a pair of scissors to make gift ribbon go curly? With a bit of practice, you can do the same with the green leafy parts of green onions (which in my part of the world are called shallots, BTW). Makes a very pretty garnish.

These things are very closely related to chives. With chives, you usually use only the green parts (although the white bit is edible, as are the flowers) - again, chop them with scissors.

If you buy them with the roots attached, the best way to store them is to plant them - just cover the roots. They'll keep growing, and they might end of flowering and going to seed - and you'll get more! Which is a good thing.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy

Also, you know how you use the blade of a pair of scissors to make gift ribbon go curly? With a bit of practice, you can do the same with the green leafy parts of green onions
What a great idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
which in my part of the world are called shallots, BTW.
So do you have what we call shallots here (kind of a cross between an onion and garlic)?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #14
Executive Chef

We call them spring onions - shallots are an onion with no leaves/stem. I belive the Irish call them scallions and an auld Scots name was 'syboes'.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Yes, we also have the 'real' shallots here. They are sold as 'shallots' and are bought separately. We find them in amongst the other onions. The green onion/scallion/spring onion things are also sold as 'shallots' and come in bunches - we find them in amongst the salad veges.

Most people who talk about 'shallots' are referring to the things that are somewhere between a leek and a chive - the green onion/scallion/spring onion things. If we want to distinguish between these and the 'real' ones we say something like 'you know, the ones that look like onions'.

It sounds confusing, but in reality, not a lot of people use the 'ones that look like onions', so it isn't confusing at all - until I start talking about them to people on the other side of the world, in which case an explanation is necessary!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

For years I was confused.

But what we have found is a shallot looks like a a garlic clove on steroids. They are about one and a half inches in length and are very tasty.

Scallioins are like chives on mega-steroids. They have not much of a bulb, and you can eat the whole thing. They have a delightful, fresh flavor. They are less than half and inch in diameter and have lower white and upper green parts.

Then there are my favorite, spring onions. Only get those early in the spring, but they are fantastic. They look like big scallions, only they have a well developed bulb. Yummm.

And then onions. Never met one I did not like.

Any recipe about here, except perhaps for flan, starts with take an onion....

At least that is my take on it.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
Executive Chef

And, the fun part is making green onion flowers.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?...display&vid=65
Old 01-22-2006, 05:10 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
We call them spring onions - shallots are an onion with no leaves/stem. I belive the Irish call them scallions and an auld Scots name was 'syboes'.
Indeed Ish, I usually see them labled as scallions in the produce section here. To me though (aka, in my mind when I glance at them) they are always green onions. Some recipes also refer to them as spring onions. As we've touched on before, it never stops being interesting how many terms exist for the same thing in different parts of the world

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None