"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
I was thinking about this and remembered an old Italian guy who used to pull the vines and hang them in his garage with the green tomatoes still attached. They would continue to ripen and as they turned red he would pick them off and use them. If you have the space it might be worth a shot.
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Head Chef
 
letscook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Finger Lakes of NY
Posts: 1,880
Interesting Aunt Bea, I going to remember that for next year since I took them all off the vines already and cleeaned the garden.
__________________

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Great thread, LetsCook!

I've only eaten Fried Green Tomatoes one time. I don't know how they were cooked, but the resulting dish was extremely tangy to the point where I didn't care for it.

Are fried Green Tomatoes themselves tangy or was that the result of the cooking process/ingredients?
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
thanks all for the suggestions,
since these are romas don't think ill fry them too small to deal with. but Think I will try Katies suggestion and let them sit for a while see if rippen. if not salsa will be next.
Just a little warning...I put some green tomatoes on my windowsill to ripen. Now the sill is stained yellow, and I just painted it a couple of months ago.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,775
there are three options that i use towards the end of the season for red tomatoes.

first, pull the plant up partly out of the ground, then water and push back down and tamp the soil lightly with your foot. this hastens ripening on the vine. somehow, the plant thinks it needs to rush ripening.

second, break off whole branches that are fruited with tomatoes, and hang until ripening. it's not just for old italian guys. if a frost is coming, pull and hang the the whole plant upside down, removing any leaves or unnecessary stems.

finally, put them in a paper bag or cardboard box with a ripe banana. both tomatoes and bananas give off ethylene gas that speeds ripening of adjacent fruit. so adding an ol banana that normally woulda been chucked helps out the green tomatoes.
__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Just a little warning...I put some green tomatoes on my windowsill to ripen. Now the sill is stained yellow, and I just painted it a couple of months ago.
That's interesting. Our sill is snow white and we've had no staining at all and we've put tomatoes there two seasons to ripen.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Great thread, LetsCook!

I've only eaten Fried Green Tomatoes one time. I don't know how they were cooked, but the resulting dish was extremely tangy to the point where I didn't care for it.

Are fried Green Tomatoes themselves tangy or was that the result of the cooking process/ingredients?
All the green tomatoes I've tasted and/or cooked didn't really come off as tangy to me. I found the flavor to be crisp and fresh.

When I make my fried green tomatoes, I dip them in beaten egg, then in Italian/seasoned bread crumbs and fry until crisp. Salt as they come out of the pan and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
All the green tomatoes I've tasted and/or cooked didn't really come off as tangy to me. I found the flavor to be crisp and fresh.

When I make my fried green tomatoes, I dip them in beaten egg, then in Italian/seasoned bread crumbs and fry until crisp. Salt as they come out of the pan and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Thanks for that description, Katie! I think perhaps the way they were cooked might have been with lots of vinegar somehow. They were very, very tangy.

I'll have to try the way you suggest. I'd love to find a new food to eat!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Will this work?

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES (2 PINTS)
Eight 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" freshly picked green tomatoes some whole and some halved to fit in jar.

Brine:
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/4 cup vinegar
4 tbs salt
2 Tientsin peppers

2 cloves garlic
2 allspice berries
2 black pepper corns
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
Bring brine to boil.
Insert 1/2 of garlic & dry ingredients in each wide mouthed pint.
Pack tomatoes & tientsin peppers into jars
Pour boiling brine to 1/8" of top of jar.
Cover and let sit on counter for 24 hours.
Refrigerate for minimum of 2 weeks.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
there are three options that i use towards the end of the season for red tomatoes.

first, pull the plant up partly out of the ground, then water and push back down and tamp the soil lightly with your foot. this hastens ripening on the vine. somehow, the plant thinks it needs to rush ripening.

second, break off whole branches that are fruited with tomatoes, and hang until ripening. it's not just for old italian guys. if a frost is coming, pull and hang the the whole plant upside down, removing any leaves or unnecessary stems.

finally, put them in a paper bag or cardboard box with a ripe banana. both tomatoes and bananas give off ethylene gas that speeds ripening of adjacent fruit. so adding an ol banana that normally woulda been chucked helps out the green tomatoes.
My mother used to wrap hers in newspaper (she kept peach crates that had the "egg carton" bottoms for this), stem side down, and stored in a cool, dark place. We would eat tomatoes until Christmas. We pulled vines this year, they are hanging in the basement. I have to go down every day--as they ripen, they sometimes fall off. I also took the Romas and placed them on trays between sheets of newspaper, checked daily. I'm almost done with those.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tomatoes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.