Guacamole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all...

for some great ideas, will be trying them all out, I love love love avocados in any way shape or form. Just a question though - are pablanos peppers (like jalapenos)?

Pablanos are not as hot, actually very little heat at all. The bigger the pepper, the less heat they carry. They favor a bell pepper more than a jalapeno pepper.

Yeah leaving the pit in is an old wives tale. It works, but only where the pit comes into contact with the avocado. Oxidation is what causes it to turn brown. If you can keep the air away from the avocado then it will not discolor. Placing plastic wrap directly on the surface so that air is not in contact with it will work great. I have also stored guacamole in my foodsaver canisters with all the air sucked out and that works perfectly as well.

If you mash your avacado smooth, and make your guacamole fairly thick, you can store it in a plastic piping bag. Again, make sure the bad is in complete dontact with all of the guacamole. Then, when you go to serve, you can put in an appropriate tip, and pipe out stars or other shapes onto corn chips, or whatever you want to dress with that great avacado-based mole' sauce. Oh, and I make mine simply by mashing the avacado, adding in lime juice to taste, some finely diced peppers (whatever hot pepper I happen to have on hand) Tobasco brand Sauce, finely diced onion and tomatoe, and a tsp. or so of freshly chopped cilantro. Pretty much the same as everyone else here. But I don't add as many ingredients because I want the avacado flavor to dominate, with the other flavors just to enhance and accent.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

pablanos

for some great ideas, will be trying them all out, I love love love avocados in any way shape or form. Just a question though - are pablanos peppers (like jalapenos)?
Actually Pablanos are chiles, like jalapanos, not peppers. Here in Mexico they are often roasted, skin and seeds removed and stuffed(chile rellanos). They can be hot, but nothing like the preferred serrano or lesser used jalepano. There is nothing quite like the delicious aroma of a few hundred roasted pablanos at an open air market. It makes my mouth water just writing this.

Goodweed, Never thought of this...

If you mash your avacado smooth, and make your guacamole fairly thick, you can store it in a plastic piping bag. Again, make sure the bad is in complete dontact with all of the guacamole. Then, when you go to serve, you can put in an appropriate tip, and pipe out stars or other shapes onto corn chips, or whatever you want to dress with that great avacado-based mole' sauce. Oh, and I make mine simply by mashing the avacado, adding in lime juice to taste, some finely diced peppers (whatever hot pepper I happen to have on hand) Tobasco brand Sauce, finely diced onion and tomatoe, and a tsp. or so of freshly chopped cilantro. Pretty much the same as everyone else here. But I don't add as many ingredients because I want the avacado flavor to dominate, with the other flavors just to enhance and accent.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

and what a brilliant idea. Definitely trying this and will certainly impress. Wilson42, thanks for the info, sounds like our sweet green chillis. I get a little confused sometimes as what you call peppers, we call capsicum so I have to differentiate between the terms. But we do call jalapenos peppers.

and what a brilliant idea. Definitely trying this and will certainly impress. Wilson42, thanks for the info, sounds like our sweet green chillis. I get a little confused sometimes as what you call peppers, we call capsicum so I have to differentiate between the terms. But we do call jalapenos peppers.

We use the term "capiscum" to refer to the chemical or enzyme that contains the bulk of the heat producing parts of the chile (the seeds and more so the veins that hold the seeds to the chile. That is why many people remove all or part of these areas to control the heat. Habeneros are among the hottest here. Also referred to as Scotch bonnets. We have some wild chiles found in the mountains called pequin, which are very small and innocent looking, but pack a punch. My personal choice for the hottest are the small Asian chilis that are bright red, quite small and grow on small bush-like plants with the chilies pointing to the sky. I have eaten these that were as hot as putting a lite cigarette in your mouth. I have dried some of these, but haven't found the correct use for them yet. When I still made my home in the US, these were mostly purchased as an ornamental plant. Perhaps they can be used to quiet an unwanted guest!!

Back
Top Bottom