Guacamole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cath4420

Senior Cook
Does anyone have a really good recipe for guacamole. I managed to pick up a couple of avocados at a ridiculous price so I thought I would make some up for a party we are having on Saturday. I have a couple i have found on line but they seem to be "the same old thing".:ermm:

I add chopped onion (can be red, white, or spring), fresh lime juice, cilantro, cumin, finely minced jalapeno pepper, mash up or leave chunky. After mashed I sometimes add some freshly chopped tomatoes. I have also been known to add some hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Roasted poblanos are good too for something different.

I do pretty much the same as Kitchenelf....

2 avacados
1 serrano pepper (I use 2 or 3, I like it hot!)
2 T of chopped red onion
1 T chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tomato diced
1/2 lime squeezed
1/4 orange squeezed
kosher salt
pepper

Mash avacado to desired consistency and then add in everything else and enjoy.

Last edited:
The only difference for me would be scallions for the onion, although, the red onion to add visual interest is intreaguing. I also put in some powdered garlic.

CROCK OF GUAC

2 ripe (haas size) avacodos mashed or chopped
2 ripe medium size tomatoes, chopped to desired size
1-2 green chilis, seeded and finely chopped (moe if desired)
1 clove garlic finely minced
1/2 small onion, finely chopped or grated
1 tsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
pinch of fresh ground black pepper
1-2 fresh squeezed limes

Combine above, making sure as soon as you peel and mash/chop avacado you get the lime juice on it to prevent browning.

Place in fridge to chill, burying the pit in middle of it, to prevent furthur browning.

(If you cut up avacado and tomato into bigger pieces and add cut up chunks of mango, you have an excellent chutney for grilled chicken or swordfish) (Try leaving avacado out, too, for another
different chutney)

ENJOY!

I remember seeing Grilled Guacamole one time.... grill avocado halves... heck.. you could grill the onion & some jalapeno or poblano too... cool the grilled veggies... some fresh lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt

You might want to do a search for jkath's guacamole recipe. I seem to remember hers was very good. She and I have avocado running in our veins! :LOL:

:)Barbara

Place in fridge to chill, burying the pit in middle of it, to prevent furthur browning.

This has never worked for me. I take a piece of plastic wrap and press it down on the surface of the guac to prevent browning. Browning is the result of oxidation of the surface, so if the surface is tightly covered, air won't get to it and it won't brown. HTH.

This has never worked for me. I take a piece of plastic wrap and press it down on the surface of the guac to prevent browning. Browning is the result of oxidation of the surface, so if the surface is tightly covered, air won't get to it and it won't brown. HTH.
Yeah leaving the pit in is an old wives tale. It works, but only where the pit comes into contact with the avocado. Oxidation is what causes it to turn brown. If you can keep the air away from the avocado then it will not discolor. Placing plastic wrap directly on the surface so that air is not in contact with it will work great. I have also stored guacamole in my foodsaver canisters with all the air sucked out and that works perfectly as well.

I said to prevent FURTHER browning and it has worked for me, up to 3 days. but yes, plastic wrap cover directly on to of the dip will contribute to redardation of browning also.

I KNEW something did not look right.... I left out the GARLIC!!!!!

I do pretty much the same as Kitchenelf....

2 avacados
1 serrano pepper (I use 2 or 3, I like it hot!)
2 T of chopped red onion
1 T chopped cilantro
2 cloves GARLIC minced
1/2 tomato diced
1/2 lime squeezed
1/4 orange squeezed
kosher salt
pepper

Mash avacado to desired consistency and then add in everything else and enjoy.

My favorite recipe:

2 avocados
2 cloves, chopped
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tsp salt
1 Tbs EVOO
2 carrots chopped
1/2 onion, chopped

My favorite recipe:

2 avocados
2 cloves, chopped
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tsp salt
1 Tbs EVOO
2 carrots chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
You said 2 cloves--do you mean cloves of garlic?

That seems like an awful lot of carrot for 2 avocados.

:)Barbara

I mean 2 cloves garlic
and yes I love 2 carrots in the guacamole, in makes it more like a salad than like a spread

gucamole

All recipes I've read here seem pretty good, although my son-inlaw is a chef from Mexico city and he uses much more cilantro than I've seen here. If you're a cilantro lover like me I would use around 3/4-1cup for 2-3 avocados. Also for the browning problem, when I lived in the US I used a product called fruit fresh to keep things green. Not sure what it is and maybe don't want to know, but it worked fine. Wife used it in making some jams and preserves

I believe fruit fresh is just citric acid. You get the same result from using lemon or lime juice. Fruit Fresh will certainly work though.

I was watching Ming Tsai on TV yesterday and he was using avocado and wasabi together. I thought that would work really well in guacamole.

I am with you wilson42. Give me a lot of cilantro!

forgot about the Fresh Fruit thing. Never thought to apply it to guac. Duh! I don't know if it is, but I just thought, a ground up vitamin C would work? NO????? If they're the same Vit. C alot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom