"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #11
Head Chef

I don't know what it's called or the brand. Just sometimes when I am at the grocery store, I will see packages that say it's soy scramble or something like that. And it looks like fake ground meat. I hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

dw and i have used fake ground meat in a few dishes like stuffed peppers and cabbage, but we went back to using ground turkey. it just tasted funky. htc, i like your idea of crumbling boca burgers. i may give it a go.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Soy scramble/crumble as compared to a crumbled garden or boca burger differ due to the seasonings in the burgers. So if you're willing to pay the higher price to get the seasoning combination you want, it makes sense.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #14
Master Chef

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a friend staying with me for a while who was veggie so I used to cook stuff with it for her. Chili, stuffed peppers, etc. I personally didnt like it much but she seemed to. But she'd eat potatoes for every meal if she could.

IMO it goes better with sauce or some other tasty way to cover it up.

Not as tasty as a boca burger or fake sausage, etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:32 AM   #15
Head Chef

I know what you're talking about and I've not tried it yet. I've seen "crumbles" by Boca, Morning Star and someone else whom I can't remember the name of right now. I'll grab some on my next trip to the store and try them, I've been meaning to anyway.

I love Boca burgers... well, I love them on top of a bowl of rice or on a toasted bagel for something quick and painless to have for dinner. I'm not a fan of most other brands though I have had a couple of "mushroom" burgers that were good as well.

I do use TVP once in awhile, but only in certain dishes. To me it is best when used in something like soup or chili or some kind of dish with a very flavorful sauce. Which makes sense, since TVP has no real flavor of it's own. Whatever flavor it has comes from the way you cook it. I have also found that it's best to reconstitute it in broth rather than water. (And I use the term "broth" loosely here, since I only use veggie-based broths.)

Anywho, I'll let you know what I think of the "crumbles" as soon as I think of something to use them in after I buy them ...

Z

Tags
None