Hash Brown Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
When I usually make Hash Brown I just cut up potatoes lil onion and fry in butter and lil bacon fat. Went to a resturant and they shreddred hash browns. They weren't all stuck together - So when I tried to make them, I shreddred the potatoe and they fried them but they just came to mush.

Anyone one cook them this way and how.
Thanks

When I usually make Hash Brown I just cut up potatoes lil onion and fry in butter and lil bacon fat. Went to a resturant and they shreddred hash browns. They weren't all stuck together - So when I tried to make them, I shreddred the potatoe and they fried them but they just came to mush.

Anyone one cook them this way and how.
Thanks

Hash browns a re shredded potatoes cooked as described. The key IS to remove as much moisture as possible.

Your cut up potatoes cooked with onion are technically home fries. I usually make home fries too. They're easier to make.

Yes, getting the moisture out is key. Excess moisture will steam the potato shreds, thus turning them into mush.

To remove the most moisture from shredded hash browns:

1.) Make certain your hands very clean.
2.) Take the shredded potatoes into your hands and squeeze hard while over a bowl or the sink. You will be able to wring out a surprising amount of water. (Pretend you're compacting a snowball.)
3.) Carefully break apart the ball of potatoes while sprinkling them into a loose pile.
4.) When you are ready to cook them, drop them into a disk shaped pile in a hot, liberally oiled skillet. Lightly press down with a spatula and then leave them alone until nicely browned. DO NOT stir or disturb until thoroughly cooked on that first side.
5.) Carefully flip to other side and fry until browned. The starch will glue the whole pile into one chunk with crunchy outside but soft inside.
6.) Season and serve.

Thanks everyone Ill give them a try again.
Thought about precooking the potatoes, but then I figure I wouldn't be able to grate them without mashing them.

To remove the most moisture from shredded hash browns:

1.) Make certain your hands very clean.
2.) Take the shredded potatoes into your hands and squeeze hard while over a bowl or the sink. You will be able to wring out a surprising amount of water. (Pretend you're compacting a snowball.)
3.) Carefully break apart the ball of potatoes while sprinkling them into a loose pile.
4.) When you are ready to cook them, drop them into a disk shaped pile in a hot, liberally oiled skillet. Lightly press down with a spatula and then leave them alone until nicely browned. DO NOT stir or disturb until thoroughly cooked on that first side.
5.) Carefully flip to other side and fry until browned. The starch will glue the whole pile into one chunk with crunchy outside but soft inside.
6.) Season and serve.

If you have a salad spinner , that would work too.

If you have a salad spinner , that would work too.

A salad spinner works OK for surface water, as in salad, but it takes squeezing pressure to get out the majority of the water from the inside of the potato.

If you want to make patties, let the "squeezed off" water to sit in a bowl. After the starch has collected at the bottom, pour off the water on top and use the white starch to bind the potatoes together. Make sure the hashbrown patty is thin enough to cook through without burning the outside.

A salad spinner works OK for surface water, as in salad, but it takes squeezing pressure to get out the majority of the water from the inside of the potato.

I made some this morning using the salad spinner, it was fine , not watery at all. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom