"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

Hash Brown Question

When I usually make Hash Brown I just cut up potatoes lil onion and fry in butter and lil bacon fat. Went to a resturant and they shreddred hash browns. They weren't all stuck together - So when I tried to make them, I shreddred the potatoe and they fried them but they just came to mush.

Anyone one cook them this way and how.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Senior Cook

The trick is to remove as much moisture as humanly possible. I've made hash browns using this method and they came out amazingly crispy and delicious. :)

Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
When I usually make Hash Brown I just cut up potatoes lil onion and fry in butter and lil bacon fat. Went to a resturant and they shreddred hash browns. They weren't all stuck together - So when I tried to make them, I shreddred the potatoe and they fried them but they just came to mush.

Anyone one cook them this way and how.
Thanks

Hash browns a re shredded potatoes cooked as described. The key IS to remove as much moisture as possible.

Your cut up potatoes cooked with onion are technically home fries. I usually make home fries too. They're easier to make.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Head Chef

Yes, getting the moisture out is key. Excess moisture will steam the potato shreds, thus turning them into mush.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Head Chef

I usually do home fries as well.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Senior Cook

To remove the most moisture from shredded hash browns:

1.) Make certain your hands very clean.
2.) Take the shredded potatoes into your hands and squeeze hard while over a bowl or the sink. You will be able to wring out a surprising amount of water. (Pretend you're compacting a snowball.)
3.) Carefully break apart the ball of potatoes while sprinkling them into a loose pile.
4.) When you are ready to cook them, drop them into a disk shaped pile in a hot, liberally oiled skillet. Lightly press down with a spatula and then leave them alone until nicely browned. DO NOT stir or disturb until thoroughly cooked on that first side.
5.) Carefully flip to other side and fry until browned. The starch will glue the whole pile into one chunk with crunchy outside but soft inside.
6.) Season and serve.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks everyone Ill give them a try again.
Thought about precooking the potatoes, but then I figure I wouldn't be able to grate them without mashing them.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
To remove the most moisture from shredded hash browns:

1.) Make certain your hands very clean.
2.) Take the shredded potatoes into your hands and squeeze hard while over a bowl or the sink. You will be able to wring out a surprising amount of water. (Pretend you're compacting a snowball.)
3.) Carefully break apart the ball of potatoes while sprinkling them into a loose pile.
4.) When you are ready to cook them, drop them into a disk shaped pile in a hot, liberally oiled skillet. Lightly press down with a spatula and then leave them alone until nicely browned. DO NOT stir or disturb until thoroughly cooked on that first side.
5.) Carefully flip to other side and fry until browned. The starch will glue the whole pile into one chunk with crunchy outside but soft inside.
6.) Season and serve.
If you have a salad spinner , that would work too.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
If you have a salad spinner , that would work too.
A salad spinner works OK for surface water, as in salad, but it takes squeezing pressure to get out the majority of the water from the inside of the potato.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Head Chef

If you want to make patties, let the "squeezed off" water to sit in a bowl. After the starch has collected at the bottom, pour off the water on top and use the white starch to bind the potatoes together. Make sure the hashbrown patty is thin enough to cook through without burning the outside.

Tags
None