Help! Portobello marinade ignites when broiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubikx

Assistant Cook
I'm relatively new to cooking, and I'm having a problem with flare-ups when I broil marinated portobello mushrooms.

The marinade I'm using is 1/3c canola oil, 1/3c soy sauce, and 1/6c balsamic vinegar.

After about 4 minutes under a 550 degree broiler the oil will start flaring up. I'm cooking the mushrooms in a roasting pan.

How do I change the marinade or the broiling method to avoid burning the house down?

Thanks!

To get a little technical, you're not setting fire to the oil in the pan. The flash point of canola oil is 600F, more than you can achieve. Nor is the oil boiling generally. Oil will smoke before it boils. But the pan takes up heat far more efficiently than the food, and oil drips on the very hot pan and spatters, sometimes reaching the broiler element where it does indeed exceed 600F and ignites and falls back. Then you can get a little dance of fire over the pan.

As already advised, move the pan down. The pan won't get so hot, and the oil can't jump so high.

In addition to what has already been said, the mushrooms shouldn't be swimming in marinade under the broiler. Drain them gill side down before broiling.

Back
Top Bottom