"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thanks YT, I'll try that tonight. What do you recommend for "high potash feeds"?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
sulphate of potash (K2SO4), nitrate of potash (saltpetre, KNO3), BBQ ash is good too! but not too much in one go, dilute it first.

if you have the Chempack range there #8 is a good one, or just use any proprietary tomato/chili food liquid also, and follow the instructions.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Yeah....I got "BBQ" and "Tomato/chili food" outta that.

....I'll look for the tomato food.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Master Chef

I've got the yellow leaf thing going on, too.

Cut them off!

I have 18 plants going, with loads of fruit. My cherries and grapes are ripe and my romas are almost there. One other plant is ripening too, but I don't like the texture of the fruit (mealy).

My neighbor who is an excellent tomato man said he has lost 2 or 3 plants already. It looks like I'll probably lose a cherry and a beefsteak in the next week or so.

I don't have bugs. I feed the plants Miracle Grow tomato feed.

What else can I do?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
cutting the leaves off is only a cosmetic effect (and may help prevent rot if the cause isn`t fixed), Mg salts are the way to go, Epsom is great for this.
you Will lose the oldest leaves anyway, so those at the bottom will go 1`st.

as for the roots, feed at the top, but water from the bottom, sometimes plant pots with the base cut out and then put into soil is a great way to grow them, water the soil, but put the food in the pot, the feed roots are surface level, the Water roots are deeper.

and don`t plant them anywhere near Potatoes and certainly don`t smoke cigs around them either.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss JP

Ya might wanna research Fusarium and Verticillium Wilt, as well as (Early) Blight.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Head Chef

jpmcgrew ... do you fertilize them? That might be an easy thing to try just in case they are low in something, like others have suggested. We give ours Mircle Grow once a week through the sprinkler and I can't believe the difference it makes. There are a ton of good fertilizers out there ...

Also, they might not be getting enough sun in your green house. Are the walls completely transparent?

I don't think plucking the suckers from the bottom would be the problem as that's what we do to all our plants.

I hope you find a solution! Of all the plants to have problems with, I would hate it to be our tomatoes!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
One other plant is ripening too, but I don't like the texture of the fruit (mealy).
Anyone have a guess on this? I noticed a few mealy romas myself. All I could find was that it may be the plant.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss JP

Ya might wanna research Fusarium and Verticillium Wilt, as well as (Early) Blight.
Will check again although I dont think thats the problem.
Right now Im blaming DH because tomato problems only happened once before 2 years ago because he would come home and shut up green hoouse in the afternoon when it was still too hot he managed to kill off everything in there and aphids galore after several death threats he did not touch my green house last year and I had a bumper crop that year he has been doing the same thing this year except he is doing it when it clouds up I dont know why, he's not the one growing the tomatoes and has never tried to grow anything I have threatened him again promising a slow and painful death if he goes near green house again I hope that solves my problem.
On the positive side I ended up with a few green tomatoes that fell off after I cut off all the yellow leaves and made and tasted my first fried green tomatoes,I loved them very good indeed.

Tags
None