"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 07-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Help with growing my tomatoes

Ive been growing tomatoes for about 5 years but this year I dont know what Im doing wrong I think Im either over watering or under watering I grow them in containers in my 8x10 green house but latley the leaves are are turning yellow on the bottoms of some of the plants.A few weeks ago I trimmed of the bottom leaves thinking the plants would get a better watering.Something is wrong.Can someone tell me whats going wrong?The tomatoes look great coming up green so far and getting big but thats normal here.HELP ME.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Master Chef

First of all, do you have any ventilation in your greenhouse? Your tomato plants may be getting to hot.

How big are the pots that the tomatoes in? They need, at the very least, a 5 gallon pot.

If you are growing your tomatoes in a greenhouse, you need to check them for bugs.
White fly and spider mites LOVE tomatoes. You'll see the white flies if you disturb the plant by running your hand through it. Insectidal Soap will get rid of them, as long as you are sure to spray UNDER the leaves, where the eggs are.

You should also find a good magnifying glass and look under the leaves for spider mites. They look like tiny red dots, and will move if you keep your eye on them. They are extremely tiny, but multipy by about 30,000 per minute, and the mites not only suck the juices out of the plant they are on, but the they also quickly spread to surrounding plants. There are sprays you can use, but the best method is to throw the infected plant into the garbage and burn it.

I wish I had taken pictures when I had the greenhouse...If I had, I could show you just what they look like.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I run a fan in the green house in the day and bugs have never been a problem no bugs at all (seriously no bugs) the containers are the same size Ive always used the tomatoes dont seem to suffer but the leaves concern me indicating a problem.Im thinking since I cut off the bushy leaves maybe plants dont need as much water .I just dont know.I am not a garderner but I have always been lucky with the tomatoes I grow them from seeds.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

JP,
I think this must be happening all of the country. MY son here in California is having the same trouble and I have two plants doing it as well. At first I thought nematodes but they all would go belly up so I'm not sure at all..I may go ask at the nursery if I get the chance..But, next year, they are for certain going into a new spot in the garden.
kadesma
Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Master Chef

If the leaves are yellow and the veins are green, however, then they are low in iron which you can buy in any garden shop and dilute accordingly. Hope you find what the problem is---tomatos are nearly the price of oil in my home state. so good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Mine are doing the same, I just pull them off and hope for the best. Iam getting my cherry tomatoes though.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
yellow leaves is a sign of Magnesium deficiency, give them some Epsom salts (MgSO4).
and don`t forget to feed with High potash food at least once a week when in flower and fruiting.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Do you mean the bottom foliage toward the roots or underneath all the leaves are brown?

The bottom most foliage on my plants dies out but the plant is still healthy and produces tomatoes.

This is my first year growing grape tomatoes. The plant I have has 3 main trunks, one of the trunks is growing pretty tall while the other two just seem to get real dense foliage on the tops. Any ideas?

Here's my Romas, Jersey Tomatoes and Bell Peppa's. Big difference from last year after relocating to a differnt area in the yard.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
dense foliage and no fruit is often indicative of High Nitrogen local to that root ball, harmless but it will need shocking into producing fruit, and the way you do that is get Very cold water in a watering can and water the foliage on a hot day (but never in direct sun).

a week later you should start getting flowers, then it`s time for high potash feeds.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I just noticed some of the top leaves are yellow and wilting.I will double check for bugs just to make sure.ARRGH

Tags
None