Herbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it's winter, but does anyone have any recommendation on where to come by some fresh herbs? Or even, for that matter, in the summer? All I can seem to find is the boxed semi-fresh stuff, which is, in my oppinion not worth buying. Barring the occasional bit of basil I can find at the farmer's market I go to (I'm not sure if they have a better selection in the summer or not), I really can't find anything all that fresh. Where might I look?

A neighbor of mine has an Aero Garden, where she grows fresh herbs year around in her house. I think I'll look into that, too!

Thanks, ChefJune. That's a great suggestion! It's a bit expensive, however. Something to save for. I read their FAQ, but I can't tell if you need to use their seeds or if you can use your own. I suspect you need theirs.

How feasible is just simply growing herbs in regular pots indoors? I live in an apartment, so I do not have many natural light options. I suspect I would need to get a special artificial light.

Check around your area for some small ethnic grocery stores, especially Asian.
I get spanking fresh basil, cilantro, kaffir lime leaves, tiny peppers and bean sprouts
there!

Have grown basil and chives all year around. Have not tried others.

Don't know about the light but a pot with some potting soil and a packet of seeds or two is not that great an investment. And if it works you have a great source of fresh herbs.

Do you have a balcony or fire escape? When we lived in an apartment, DH attached planter boxes to the fire escape railing (on the outside) and we grew herbs there - parsley, thyme, chives, don't remember what else. HTH.

Well the bigger the grocery store the bigger the selection.
Some grocers sell herbs in soil where you can simply tear off what you need and let them grow.
If not satisfied with that, you can buy live plants off of ebay, or get seeds. I grew some pretty good cilantro and mint last winter.

Back
Top Bottom