"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-01-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

How about a shroom recipe? There are a zillion ways to cook them and they are all good.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
Executive Chef

One of my regular dishes is a warm vegetable salad in aioli. This allows you to use any vegetables that are in season (or to clear out your fridge!) but you can go more upmarket with imported items if you rather. Usually mine includes potato, sweet potato or pumpkin, broccoli, and cauliflower cut into bite size chunks, everything cooked individually so the flavours don't meld at this stage. Now if I am having it at home, I cook the veges fully, but if I am taking it to someone else's place, I will only par-cook them and finish them off in the microwave there (just be careful not to overcook). The aioli wants to be added just before serving but while the veges are hot. That way you don't use as much aioli. Always goes down well and looks colourful and can be varied so much from your choice of vegetables to the addition of fresh herbs or even some grated parmesan on top.

I also like (fresh) steamed asparagus spears in a mustard vinaigrette. Broccolini can also be used here instead.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks for getting back to us, Larry. There are lots of good suggestions here. It almost sounds like you will be going to a brunch rather than a large holiday meal. How about desserts? Fresh fruit or sorbet? Nuts, fruit and cheese platter? I have a great recipe for a flourless chocolate cake (a little like a souffle) if you want it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Head Chef

At this point , im leaning towards the bean salad , cauliflower - cheese casserole , and i was also thinking maybe a rice stuffed pepper. I like he mushroom idea also, just trying to think of something creative.

Ill get back to u when i decide

larry
Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
The vegetarians here wont eat meat ( beef, pork, chicken, fish ...) but are not vegans, so eggs, cheese, milk are ok.

I thin it is going to be very casual ( bagels, egg salad, chicken salad...stuff like this )

The side dish I want to bring, I want it to be available for all to eat.

Everything suggested so far looks great. I still have a few weeks to decide, so keep the suggestions coming :)

Thanks a lot .

larry
Hi Larry. Sounds like a casual menu. Have lots of veggie ideas, but looked up gluten-free, & not sure what foods would be acceptable by all. Might want to check out special diets (think there is a catagory here), or gluten free websites and/or products.

With a menu of bagels, egg salad, chicken salad, I would lean toward a green salad, potato salad (red potato & green bean salad), pasta salad, crunchy apple salad, potato, zuke or carrot pancakes. Wanted to mention a squash casserole or roasted brussels sprouts (any roasted veggies), but not sure how that would go with the menu.

A few more ideas/thoughts - tomato, cucumber & red onion salad, marinated mushrooms, Caprese salad (or caprese salad w green beans), green beans/lemon/juice & pine nuts, stuffed roasted onions or tomatoes. For the menu you mentioned, I would go with a layered salad, pasta salad or potato salad. Eggpant rollatini is another suggestion - or how about caponata.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
Master Chef

Larry, a friend made this recipe when I was visiting her home. I think that it work would for your meal. I forgot to mention that don't forget to buy gluten free noodles. I have seen them in stores like Trader Joe's or a health food store.

Penne with Roasted Corn and Poblano, Avocado, and Tomatoes

2 Poblano (Pasilla) peppers
2 red bell peppers
2 ears shucked corn
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 garlic clove minced
4 cups cooked whole-wheat penne pasta (drained and cooled)
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup chopped avocado

Preheat broiler. Cut poblanos and bell peppers in half in lengthwise; remove stems and membranes. Place pepper halves skin side up on a foil-lined baking sheet, flatten with hand. Add ears of corn to baking sheet. Broil 18 minutes or until peppers are blackened and corn is lightly browned, turning corn occasionally. Place peppers in resealable plastic bag and seal. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop the peppers. Cut kernels from ears of corn.

Combine lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, cumin, and garlic in a large bowl and stir. Add peppers, corn, pasta, and remaining ingredients. Toss and chill until ready to serve. Makes 8 servings.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Jeff, make mashed sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, add some heavy cream and some bourbon. By the time they are ready, you won't need the marshmallows.
Oh man.... just changed my recipe!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #18
Head Chef

How about deep fried artichoke hearts?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
This is excellent, colorful, and great for the holidays. It's gluten-free, vegetarian, and low fat. I chill it for longer than the 1 hour indicated, about 4-5 hours.

Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries Recipe - Beans - MyRecipes.com
Couscous is made from wheat and so is not gluten-free: Gluten-Free Diet: Grains and Flours

If you go with pasta, make sure it's not made from wheat.

This site is by a woman with celiac disease (gluten allergy): Karina's Kitchen Recipe Index Tons of great recipes there. HTH.

Tags
None