"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

Holiday side dish that is vegetarian and wheat/ gluten free.

Hi,
I was invited to my sisters for the holidays and was told that I was responsible for bringing a side dish. There will be guests who are vegetarian ( my family) and guest who has allergies to gluten. Id like to make something that everyone can eat. Any suggestions ??

Larry

Old 12-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Master Chef

A wonderful lentil soup would make a great side, as would many bean dishes. Of course rice and beans make up a complete protien and so would add not only great flavor, but nutritonal value as well. Another flavor favorite is a good three-bean salad. When done right, it is refreshingly light, with bold flavor that awakens the taste buds.

Here's a couple of recipes that I'm throwing together in my head right now.

Three bean Salad
Ingredients:
1 can whole green beans, drained
1 can whole waxed beans, drained (optional)
1 can garbazo beans (chick peas) drained
1 can deep-red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 sweet vidalia onion, slice in half from side to side, and into 5 slices top-bottom
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 cup ice water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tbs. sugar or Splenda

Combine all ingredients. Stir and taste the liquor. Adjust the vinegar and sweetener to taste. There should be a bit of a bite from the vinegar that is ballanced by the sweetener. Refrigerate overnight to let all the flavors blend. Many people add salad oil to this dish, but I don't. Let all of the flavors speak up loud and clear.

You can also add ingredients to this such as whole kernal corn, diced-fresh tomato, other kinds of beans, etc. But then it becomes something other than 3-bean salad. I like it without all of the possible extras.

Rice and Beans:
1/2 cup brown, long grain rice
1/4 cup wild rice
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup red beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp. vegetable soup base
2 cloves minced garlic
1 medium, yellow onion, sliced
2 tbs. sunflower oil
2 1/2 cups water

Heat the oil in a 2 quart pot until fragrant. Add the rice and stir for about 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the other ingredients, all at the same time. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low. Cover and cook for 45 minutes.

Remove the lid and test the rice. If not tender yet, add another 1/4 cup water and simmer with the lid on for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with the main course.

Stuffed peppers, or cabbage rolls are great for a vegetarian side. Fill with tomato and herbed and spicy rice, or polenta.

Asparagus with a lemon/dill, or lemon/tarragon sauce is good too.

If you want to get a bit more fancy, grilled portabella mushroom caps that have been drizzled with EVOO are wonderful. you can also add mushrooms to any of the above recipe ideas.

So there's at least a bit to get you thinking. Soups, veggie chowders, rice & beans, lentils, etc. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Nice suggestions, Goodweed. I like the idea of getting protein into a vegetarian/gluten free dish.
Larry ~ Here are a few suggestions for just plain vegetarian/gluten free dishes. How about scalloped potatoes or twice baked potatoes? I have a good recipe for a broccoli salad with dried cranberries -- looks great for Christmas. Have you thought of carrot/raisin salad or a waldorf salad with both red and green apples for a festive look? How about cabbage -- red and green in a slaw or cooked with apples? Sweet potato/apple casserole is always popular, too. You could also make a baked cauliflower casserole with cheesy, breadcrumb topping. Hey, a Ceasar salad would be very tasty! And the list goes on and on ....
Old 12-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieshelly View Post
How about scalloped potatoes or twice baked potatoes? I have a good recipe for a broccoli salad with dried cranberries -- looks great for Christmas. Have you thought of carrot/raisin salad or a waldorf salad with both red and green apples for a festive look? How about cabbage -- red and green in a slaw or cooked with apples? Sweet potato/apple casserole is always popular, too. You could also make a baked cauliflower casserole with cheesy, breadcrumb topping. Hey, a Ceasar salad would be very tasty! And the list goes on and on ....
I love your suggestions. But we are still waiting to hear from Larry just how gegetarian he wants to get. If the people eating the food are strict vegetarians, then any mayonaise based sald dressing are out, as they contain egg. Dairy products like butter and milk would be a no-no as well. But soy milk and margerine could be substitued. Even gelatin would be out as it's made from collagen, a product derived by boiling cartilage, bones, and connecting tissue from skelatal parts.

Vegetarian, though difficult, is not impossible. There are a host of sides that can be made from members of the bean, grain (including rice), and vegetable ingredients. Think of things like artichokes, gaspacho, soups, fried green tomatoes, veggie casseroles, stuffed veggies (squash, especially the winter varieties), fruits, mellons. Sauces can be made from fruits and veggies as well. Then there are recipes for tofu smoothies, or veggie smoothies, a thousand ways to make potatoes, etc. There are veggies like beets, rutabeggas, turnips, celery root, parsnips, carrots drizzled with honey, nuts and various seeds, sweet confections, sorbet's, frozen bananna dipped in chocolate and nuts, caramel apples. The list could go on forever.

He just needs to avoid anything with wheat, dairy, and meat/poultry/fish.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks, Goodweed.
Okay, Larry, let us know if you are cooking for vegetarians who will eat dairy or are they vegans who do not eat any dairy or animal foods? We'll be able to make better suggestions if we know. Hey, here's something for everyone -- a huge fruit platter with every kind of fruit you are able to find in the grocery store. Slice and arrange in a decorative fashion and everyone should enjoy it!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
Head Chef

Sweet potatoes, cooked up with brown sugar, marshmallows etc...
Pretty standard holiday side dish..
Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Sweet potatoes, cooked up with brown sugar, marshmallows etc...
Pretty standard holiday side dish..
Jeff, make mashed sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, add some heavy cream and some bourbon. By the time they are ready, you won't need the marshmallows.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Head Chef

Curried Couscous Salad With Dried Cranberries

This is excellent, colorful, and great for the holidays. It's gluten-free, vegetarian, and low fat. I chill it for longer than the 1 hour indicated, about 4-5 hours.

Curried Couscous Salad with Dried Cranberries Recipe - Beans - MyRecipes.com
Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

Citrus Green Bean Salad

This is another excellent side dish. I use creamy Dijon instead of grainy mustard, a little less oil, less salt, etc. Also, I halve the green beans instead of cutting them in 1-inch pieces:
Cooks Recipes | Citrus Green Bean Salad Recipe
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Head Chef

The vegetarians here wont eat meat ( beef, pork, chicken, fish ...) but are not vegans, so eggs, cheese, milk are ok.

I thin it is going to be very casual ( bagels, egg salad, chicken salad...stuff like this )

The side dish I want to bring, I want it to be available for all to eat.

Everything suggested so far looks great. I still have a few weeks to decide, so keep the suggestions coming :)

Thanks a lot .

larry

Tags
None