"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's a joke. I think she misread the title as brownies made with hash, kinda like pot brownies
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, I misread the title. I was a little surprised.
Quote:
And it looks like you were the only one who read it that way
Maybe it's because taxy just finished up her pan of just-right brownies?

Just Kidding taxy!

Old 05-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just finished watching an episode of ATK regarding home fries. Having traveled this country from North to South, East to West and back again, home fries are a Northeast food. The rest of the country serves hash browns....
Then I guess OH is in the Northeast? My Mom (and now I) make cubed potatoes that we call "paprika potatoe cubes" since that's what they are. I cube and boil the potatoes just until a fork almost makes a dent. Drain and put in a pan of melted butter along with seasonings (paprika, of course!) and fry out until the sides are browned and a bit crispy and the insides are nice and soft.

Mom also did really good hash browns. I don't know how she got them that way but I do know I'm going to try using the ricer to press the water out of the shreds. Caslon, thanks for the pointer!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #33
Master Chef

Addie, I'm with you. I can get home fries, as I know them (the cubes of potato) with no problem. It is the hash browns (shredded potatoes) that I have a problem with.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Addie, I'm with you. I can get home fries, as I know them (the cubes of potato) with no problem. It is the hash browns (shredded potatoes) that I have a problem with.
Go down south and ask for home fries and you will get a blank stare. They don't know what they are. I am afraid ATK got it wrong this time. Their potaotes are good, just not home fries as we know them. They are baked fries.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We get home fries all over around here, it's the additions that make the deal. I like them with fried green peppers, onions and bacon mixed in. A couple of sunny side up eggs and sourdough toast...I'd be set!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Go down south and ask for home fries and you will get a blank stare. They don't know what they are. I am afraid ATK got it wrong this time. Their potaotes are good, just not home fries as we know them. They are baked fries.
Honestly, I don't know where you get your ideas sometimes, Addie We certainly do have home fries in the south. Check this out: Google search - "home fries" menu norfolk, va
Old 05-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know where you get your ideas sometimes, Addie We certainly do have home fries in the south. Check this out: Google search - "home fries" menu norfolk, va
At one time they were a New England thing. Little by little they are spreading. When Spike came down to Texas for a visit, he would stop for breakfast and order eggs with bacon and home fries. Just about every stop they made, they got hash browns instead. The world has finally caught up with us.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We certainly have home fries here in Quebec. They are usually cubes or chunks of potato. They could be seasoned. Unfortunately, some restos include MSG in their seasoning.

When we make them at home, we usually ask, "Round or square potatoes?" Square is the cubes and round is slices. I find the slices crisp up better, but they often break.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

I make home fries with paprika, onion and sometimes mushrooms. I cube potatoes and microwave them to par cook then into a skillet with the rest. Paprika adds a little flavor and gives the mix a bette color.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
Wine Guy

Quote:
At one time they were a New England thing. Little by little they are spreading. When Spike came down to Texas for a visit, he would stop for breakfast and order eggs with bacon and home fries. Just about every stop they made, they got hash browns instead. The world has finally caught up with us.
I've been eating home fries in the midwest for 50+ years. I'm not sure when they were ever strictly a New England thing. According to Wikipedia:

"A dish much like modern home fries may have been around for as long as humans have been consuming cooked potatoes."

Contrary to popular belief, not everything was invented in Boston or New York.

Tags
homemade, other