Homemade Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldcoot

Senior Cook
That canned stuff sold in the stores is, in my opinion, a far cry from "real" sauerkraut. I hadn't had the real stuff since leaving Missouri 15 years ago, where an Austrian neighbor farmer treated us to his excellent 'kraut, and showed me how he made it.

So, a couple of months ago, I decided to make some. The only crock I have is a big 5 gallon job, so I wound up using ten heads of cabbage. That will be enough to last at least a year! :)

It tokk over an hour to shred all that cabbage, using my cabbage shredder (from Missouri). Then, into that clean crock (you have to use ceramic, glass, or wood - no metals, please!!) Tossed in a couple of inches of cabbage, then a good handful of coarse salt, then more cabbage,, more salt, until the crock was close to full. Filled it with water, sloshed it up and down a few times to ensure the salt water got all through the cabbage, then put a dinner plate on top and weighted it with a clean round river rock Covered the top with a clean cotton towel, and put it outside (in a cool, shady spot) to ferment. (Don’t try this in the house – it smells awful for the first month)

Periodically I’d skim the crud off the surface, add a little water to make up for evaporation, but otherwise left it alone for over two months. I tried a bite (rinsed, but raw) a while ago – yummmm!) Nice thing is, it only gets better the longer you leave it.

So tonight we’re having bratwurst & sauerkraut, with boiled, parsley potatoes. I guess I’d better have a glass of beer with that.

Sauerkraut2.JPG

big surprise, but i hate cabbage :shock:
but what really ruined sauerkraut for me was in high school biology class we made it to learn about fermentation. Nothing kills an appetite faster than seeing & smelling fermented cabbage sitting a foot away from a disected frog.

Now how on earth did I miss this conversation?! Old coot, your recipe looks wonderful. As for you, Carnivore: LOL!!

A word to any new sauerkraut makers out there: when old coot specifies "a clean RIVER rock", he means exactly that.

Because:

If you use a limestone rock instead of a granite river rock, your sauerkraut will SPOIL. This is because the lime in the limestone will cancel the acidity of the salt-and-water brine, so your cabbage will be sitting there in a crockful of quarreling elements, and the result not only will not be pretty, it will be downright dangerous.

So, one more time, gang: RIVER ROCK! RIVER ROCK! RIVER ROCK! YAAAY RIVER ROCK!!!

sorry about that ;) . . . maybe if I'd been a cheerleader . . . ???

Back
Top Bottom