"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 08-22-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
How can I saute broccoli and other veggies...

How can I saute broccoli and other vegetables with garlic so that the garlic doesn't burn?

cats2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Cook
Are you talking about stir-fry?

Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Saute Broccolli

You can add minced garlic the last minute or two of cooking time. It takes very little time to saute garlic. I prefer it minced because it tastes much better, and I dislike getting a large piece of garlic in my mouth. I hope this is helpful to you.
Blessings, Mai
Mai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:54 PM   #4
Senior Cook
You could also sautee the garlic in the oil for a few minutes, just long enough to infuse the garlic flavor into the oil, then remove the garlic cloves before adding the veggies
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I add my garlic at the end for a couple of mins and mix it all in. It tastes great!
VegOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I do a weird saute technique with a tiny big of vegetable stock, about two to three tablespoons, rather than oil and add the garlic to that, and then the vegetables. It works well with veggies that you don't want to brown, like broccolli. You have to stir it and watch it like a hawk, if the water completely evaporates, the veggies take on a nasty sweet-burned taste.
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I love to add sauteed garlic or shallots to veggies, especially the green ones. What I always do is gently sautee garlic and/or shallots in a small amount of oil w/butter for a VERY short time. Then set aside in a little Pyrex type dish. I then cook the veggies in the usual manner w/water. When cooked, drain off the water and add the sauteed garlic/shallots. Mix well and gently reheat. Add S&P as desired. I like to do this quite a bit in advance of dinnertime as the veggies will really absorb the flavor of the garlic and/or shallots. Easy and really adds a nice kick to plain boiled veggies.
cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
Master Chef
Norma's method is the best if you don't want a mouthful of garlic (I'm one of those who loves it, but this is what I do when I have guests I think might not like it). Otherwise, toss in the garlic at the same time you do the vegs. I rarely use garlic without using onion, and I toss in the garlic AFTER the onions to avoid burning the garlic. There are actually some dishes where you want browned crisp garlic, but generally you don't, and putting something else in the frying pan first avoids that problem. Another thing you can do is nuke a clove or two for only a minute or two, then chop and you can add it later in the dish because it becomes SO mild. Good hint for garlic wimps.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
I saute mine at the beginning and I do not remove them. Just make sure your heat is not too high. After cooking for a short while add other ingredients to the pan. The additional food will keep the garlic from burning. Just make sure to give it a good stir so the garlic is not still on the bottom of the pan.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Sous Chef
The best way to infuse the taste of ANY aromatic is to start in cool or room temp. oil, broth or water. And LOW heat. See Tip

In your case, have your oil and WHOLE peeled cloves of garlic, in a pan, on low heat. Toast it for about 5-8 mins until the garlic is a light/med tan color. Take out garlic, add in veggies, cook to desired doneness.BTW the garlic would be great schmeered on some french bread.

Tip.........all aromatics [veggies, herbs, spices ect] have oils, when they are drawn out slowly as I mentioned you will get the fullest flavor possible.

Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote