"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Cook

How do I caramelize onions?

So i have some medium/small side onions and i'd like to carmelize them. how can i do it using a pan?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

My way is to just cut my onion into half rings, med thick. In a large skillet, I add some butter and some evoo, on a med-low heat. When butter is melted and starts to sizzle a little I add the sliced onions, stir well and begin sauteeing..I watch the heat closely and lower it a little, I don't want the onion to burn. When the onions are soft, I put the heat on low depending on how much onion I've cut up I add just a sprinkle say 1/2 tea. sugar stir it in and let the onions cook stirring often til they get a lovely golden color. You want a dark gold color almost light brown, but any more than that you need to,Watch closely if they get to dark they become bitter...After they get golden I finish off the recipe I'm using them for...

Hope this helps you a little..Amounts vary depending how many onions you've used.

kadesma

Old 04-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Kadesma! I've been watching this thread like a hawk for someone to reply :P I think I'll try that out one night next week

…only need Relastin until I learn Photoshop
michen_122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by michen_122
Thanks Kadesma! I've been watching this thread like a hawk for someone to reply :P I think I'll try that out one night next week
You're welcome michen, glad I could help.

kadesma
Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I find if using one of the varieties of sweet onions (walla walla or vidalia or oso sweets,) that no sugar is needed. Make sure you are not using a non stick pan, which inhibbits browning. I like to start off at a little higher heat than kadesma says, but yes you must watch so they don't burn. Then I turn down as the pan and veg are at same heat and veg beginning to soften. You are getting the natural sugars in the onion to brown and caramelize.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
My waay is to just cut my onion into half rings, med thick. In a large skillet, I add some butter and some evoo, on a med-low heat. When butter is melted and starts to sizzle a little I add the sliced onions, stir well and begin sauteeing..I watch the heat closely and lower it a little, I don't want the onion to burn. When the onions are soft, I put the heat on low depending on how much onion I've cut up I add just a sprinkle say 1/2 tea. sugar stir it in and let the onions cook stirring often til they get a lovely golden color. You want a dark gold color almost light brown, but any more than that you need to,Watch closely if they get to dark they become bitter...After they get golden I finish off the recipe I'm using them for...

Hope this helps you a little..Amounts vary depending how many onions you've used.

kadesma

That's exactly the way I do them. They are soooo good!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

One of my friends cooks them in the crockpot. He doesn't have to watch them or stir the onions all the time.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caramelized Onions, Crockpot

by BJCotton:

6 onions
1/2 cup butter

You can use just about any kind of onion for this--Vidalia, Spanish, yellow--it's your choice.

Slice the stem and root ends off each onion. Peel the onions, but leave them whole.

Place onions and butter in crockpot and cook on low for anywhere from 12-36 hours. The onions will get deep golden brown and literally fall apart.

Use right away or freeze for later.

Suggested uses: in omelets, sandwiches, soups, casseroles, dips, pasta sauce, or alongside any grilled meat.

Note: If your crockpot is big enough, you can double the amount of onions.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Med.low heat is a must, I agree with Kadesma all the way ! Low and slow!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I agree!! Also an ample skillet is a key, to assure the even cooking, and tossing well and often while being cooked, so you won't be left with raw onion on the top and burnt at the bottom!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
Sous Chef

very interesting tip on the sugar kadesma...i will try that next time!

Tags
None