How do I get my roasted potatoes crispy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Constance said:
What kind of potatoes do you all use?
I usually use russets, but Yukon Gold and any kind of baby new potatoes are quite delicious as well.

I love roasted vegetables in general...carrots, peppers, onions, tomatoes...I've never tried sweet potatoes, though. My husband is not a big fan of them, but I just need to go ahead and do it some day. Who knows, he might like them.
I'd also like to try a rutabaga. That's something I've never tasted, but think I might like. I've never tried parsnips, either, but if they taste anything like carrots, I'd love them.

Swede turnip (as we call rutabaga) is a versatile veg which is used in a lot of Scottish winter dishes, Constance. It is great when you grate it into a Scottish lentil soup or Scotch broth; boiled and the added to potatoes and mashed well, with lots of butter and black pepper (traditional dish to accompany haggis); cut into cubes and used in stews and casseroles. Creamed, on it's own with a little cream, butter and lots of pepper.

Parsnips are (imo) much sweeter than carrots, especially when roasted. But I also use them in a similar manner to swede.

I wonder if it may be the varieties of potatoes that we use here which makes the par-boiling method successful. The potatoes really do need very little cooking, just enough to soften the very outside layer of potato, not enough to let a knife penetrate too far. Then drain very well and return to the saucepan. Lid on, vigorous shake.... result: roughened edges!

I don't think you can do the onions right with them--maybe in the same pan but separated. The onions will give off a lot of moisture. Roll the veggies in some oil also.

My brother does about 50 kgs of roast potatoes per day in the restaurant.
He peels the spuds, brings them to a boil, boils for 1 minute, then turns off the heat.
When he's ready to roast, he drains the potatoes and roasts them in the hot oil.
Crispy, crispy evey time!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom