How do I make hashbrowns from potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've found that whether I use uncooked or leftover cooked potatoes to make hashbrowns, the common denominators for having them turn out well are a cast-iron pan, butter rather than oil, & as others have said, to leave them alone without moving or flipping them until they've formed a good crust on the bottom.

:ermm: Not being a native American, I daresay I should shut up about Hash Browns... but I won't, and am wearing my body armour for any flying debris which may come my way...:cool: :cool:

I like to bring my potatoes to a boil, then turn them off. Leave for 5 minutes in the water, remove, grate ( skin and all ) THEN make my hash browns. The raw potato method means that sometimes the middle of the hash browns have a "raw spud" flavour AND texture, which I'm not awfully fond of. My method gives me a kinder, gentler hash brown ( AHHhhhhhh!!:chef: )
Course, anything with potatoes will be duly snaffled, but I'm getting fussy in my old age!

I know y'all have "done" this subject to death before I even got here, but I can't resist posting this recipe for Fried Potatoes (Hash Browns) that are the best I've ever eaten or made. A long time ago, when I was a Band Director in Chicago, a colleague who was an excellent cook (His dad had been chef for the DuPonts!) made these for me. I forced him to write down what he did...

Fried Potatoes Street

makes 6 servings

2 1/2 quarts cold water
2 tablespoons sea salt
3 large white potatoes, about 10 ounces each
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
Vegetable oil for frying

1. Scrub potatoes. Cut lengthwise into quarters, then into half-inch cubes. Combine the water with 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt and add potatoes. Bring to a rolling boil and cook covered over high heat just until fork tender, about 7 minutes. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water to cool. Dry the potatoes on paper towels.
2. In a small bowl, mix salt and peppers. Sprinkle over potatoes and toss gently.
3. In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 inch oil to 350 degrees F. Add onion. Sauté until soft, then add garlic. Just before garlic starts to brown, add potatoes. Fry until golden brown on all sides, about 12 to 15 minutes. Drain on brown paper bags or paper towels and serve at once.

ChefJune - I think there's plenty more that can be shared on this. I think I'll be trying your recipe tomorrow, though it isn't what I would typically call hash browns. I'm often intrigued at the variety of approaches that can be taken with seemingly the simplest of dishes.

Andy M., according to Roy Finamore in his cookbook of over 300 potato recipes, One Potato, Two Potato, hash brown potatoes are made with cubed potatoes. I'm sure there are other equally renowned experts, including my own grandmother, who go with shredded potatoes. I'm thinking, to each his/her own, no pronouncements necessary. Please pass the pepper.

Teleri said:
Andy M., according to Roy Finamore in his cookbook of over 300 potato recipes, One Potato, Two Potato, hash brown potatoes are made with cubed potatoes. I'm sure there are other equally renowned experts, including my own grandmother, who go with shredded potatoes. I'm thinking, to each his/her own, no pronouncements necessary. Please pass the pepper.

Teleri:

No disrespect intended. Just stating my opinion (and I realize that's all it is.) I have had breakfast in enough different places to know that a hash brown and a home fry can be just about anything the cook wants them to be.

Very good question. I've never tried hash browns myself. I would use a grater, and then wash the grated potatoes in a colander to get rid of the starchy liquid, pat dry, and then fry with some oil and onion, being careful not to heat too fast. Maybe keep a lid on it at first to cook the potatoes, then remove the lid to crisp up. Just my guess.

ChefJune...yummy! Thanks. Thats on the menu for us one of these days.

PS. Teleri, Andy just likes to yank my chain.

cliveb said:
:but I won't, and am wearing my body armour for any flying debris which may come my way...

:ROFLMAO: You know us!!!!!!!!
boo.gif

I guess I make my hash browns fairly thin - the middle always gets done. I hate it when the onions don't get done!! But most hash browns around here are just made with salt and pepper - no onions. Our cubed potatoes, with onion and sometimes peppers are called homefries. Theres nothing better than a batch of these all caramelized and crispy brown!!!.

Last edited:
Just enough oil so it doesn't "fry" or "sautee" but enough so it has the chance to brown and actually cook. The hard part about doing this initially is potatoes soak up a lot of oil. Be sure and start off with a cold skillet. Let it heat heat. Add your butter/oil combination, let that heat up then add your shredded potatoes. Use skilletlicker's method and you should be ok. If you notice the potatoes are not actually cooking, but just browning too much, add a bit of oil by holding up an edge of the hashbrowns and add some butter/oil to the underneath side.

Back
Top Bottom