"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Executive Chef

How do you cook artichokes?

I have always just boiled mine (in water) with lemon juice, salt and garlic. I'd love some new suggestions.

...and now I'm boiling potatos for a salad in the artichoke water. Do you think it will be bitter? I've never tried it before but hated to see all that flavor go down the drain.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You might be able to find some ideas that you like here:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...earchid=286596

Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Lol Thank you Ironchef....I completely forgot about the 'search' button.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
...and now I'm boiling potatos for a salad in the artichoke water. Do you think it will be bitter? I've never tried it before but hated to see all that flavor go down the drain.
It probably won't affect the flavor in a noticeable way. But I've never done that before. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Years ago someone brot into the office where I worked a case of artichokes and of course we all scammered to take some home. The next day we were all talking of how much we had enjoyed them and how we had prepared them. A little Vietnamese gal who worked with us had the darndest expression on her face...turns out she took hers home and she and her mother boiled them in water, threw the chokes away and drank the water....she had no idea.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

No new flavor ideas, but the pressure cooker positively ROCKS!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The potatos were really good. The lemon/garlic/artichoke added enough flavor to make them interesting. I mainly tasted lemon and garlic, the artichoke flavor was weak.

I used to use the artichoke water in soups but my freezer doesn't have enough space for a toothpick.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
I have always just boiled mine (in water) with lemon juice, salt and garlic. I'd love some new suggestions.
I've done them in the microwave with good success. It's been some time since I've done it that way, but I think this is correct:

Trim the stem off, cut off about 1/2 to 1 inch of the top, and trim the ends of the sharp leaves with a pair of scissors if you want them to be easier to eat.

Rinse them, drizzle a little olive oil over them, add a squeeze of lemon, a little salt and pepper, and maybe some garlic powder or slivered garlic stuck between the leaves.

Wrap each artichoke tightly in Saran wrap. Place them on a plate, with the bottoms pointed toward the edge of the plate.

Microwave on high -- I think I used to do two large artichokes for 13 minutes (not positive). Turn them over half way through.

They're done when a sharp cooking fork easily pierces the bottom. Don't nuke them too long as they'll continue to cook after you take them out.

Unwrap and serve with butter or mayo or ranch dressing or thousand island dressing or blue cheese dressing or whatever else you like.

BTW, I think artichokes are best either luke warm or cold. I just put them in the refrigerator still wrapped in the Saran and leave them until they're needed.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:

Firstly - try to find some small artichokes (baby artichokes) with the stem still attached. Remove ALL the leaves ( save them for snacking) and trim the heart, removing the hairy middle, if it's there. Trim the stalk but leave intact.
Toss into acidulated water.
When you've trimmed all the chokes, stand them stem side up ( heart down) in a pan. Barely cover the heart with water. Add fresh marjoram, or oregano, salt, pepper, and a good splash of EVOO. Bring to the boil then lower to a minimal simmer, and place a tight lid on top.10 minutes cooking should be enough, and you can use the remaining liquid to make a delicious dressing for the "Carciofi alla Romana"...
Secondly - boil the potatoeswith a sliced onion and a clove or two of garlic. Add a good dose of olive oil and some fresh herbs- but add the (cooked) artichoke hearts at the last minute. Yummy recipe!
I also cook them ( boil them!) until barely cooked, then sautée in olive oil with piles of diced bacon. Mix with some Feta cheese and clove of garlic or two, roll up in Phyllo pastry, bake in the oven, and send me a bottle of Retsina to drink with mine!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I have a bottle of Retsina all chilled and waiting! Funny I was thinking that we were the only two people who'll drink Retsina. Everytime we open a bottle people run. The artichokes sound really good to go with. Yum.

Tags
None